Islam a civil war between Shia and Sunni,?nd

Al Quida,rampantly anti west,in Iraq, spent most of its efforts in killing,almost at random Shias.

Al Quida are mostly Sunnis, but apparently will accept all,for the cause.

Sunnis,whats your opinion on the western heretics,the Shias etc?

Shias,Whats your opinion of Sunnis?

Also what do you think of the Dervishes etc,

What do you think about atheists and Christians intervening in your countries?

I totally swear that this is not a wind up.
I honestly want to know.

Do we actually have any Muslims from the Middle East on the boards? All the Muslim posters I can think of are Westerners.

You forgot the Sufis, the Druze, the Salafis, &c… Surely they’re more relevant than Dervishes?

Are you sure?

Yes, but I threw a mental blank on that one when posting, and they were the only ones that sprang to mind at the time.

I haven’t done a head count but U.B.L was a Sunni, as was Al Zaquari,who when he wasn’t killing coalition forces was killing Shias.

I may well be wrong in my impression of Al Quiada being a principly Sunni motivated organisation, but that is the reason that I started this thread.

To dispel my ignorance.

I believe that we have at least a couple of Palestinians who have Russian sounding user names and who used to give their location as central Europe.

Until called on it.

I apologise for the multiple posts, but I am shamelessly bumping my thread.

Gosh I am such a scoundrel.

Related: I have a friend who is Muslim, and not just in name–she’s very serious about her religion.

Her parents are immigrants, and she still spends months every year in either Morocco or Egypt (where her parents’ relatives all live).

I asked her whether she’s Sunni or Shia, and she told me (I don’t remember which now) but she also seemed to have to stop and think for a second, and accompanied her answer by saying that in her experience muslims hardly take note of the distinction.

I thought this was strange given that there is supposed to be a lot of conflict in the Muslim world based on the division between Sunni and Shia.

Is it because she’s American? Is the distinction harder to make here in the states? Or is it a distinction that only really becomes important in certain regions of the middle east and North Africa? Or is my friend just somehow out of touch with the religion she follows quite seriously?

Sunnis do their own thing, Shias have a clergy.

I find it incredible that she couldn’t remember her faith.

A bit like being unable to remember if you’re a Catholic or a Protestant, no matter how apathetic you are towards church going.

Well, I’m not sure why she paused–at the time it was like she had to stop and think, but she may have just been thinking “what a strange question, why is he asking” or something like that.

But she did say that in her experience the distinction isn’t much taken note of among muslims, and that was a surprise to me.

why should a Sunni from Egypt care about the Shia one way or the other? The Sunni-Shia conflict in Iraq can be understood as an ethnic conflict that is relevant to people living in that country. Who will get the political power, the jobs, the ability to walk into my neighborhood as police, just plain ability to live in my neighborhood? These are questions important to self-identified groups like Sunni and Shia in Iraq. But if you are not in Iraq, let’s say you are in Egypt, would you care about any of that? Egyptians may have division between Muslims and Copts, but that fight was won and lost long time ago, now being over and done.

Really am too busy to have an opinion on most of the above.

S Asian’s you certainly do.

Aren’t the protests in the Gulf states about the Shia majorities demanding better conditions from the Sunni ruling elite ?

In Syria the protests are anti Quadaffi, but the Syrians have sent military ordnance to assist him.
Could the Iranian government being assisting Shia protests ?

As a counterbalance to the anti government demonstrations in their own (Shia majority) country ?

I have no answers, or even strongly held opinions myself, as the issue is so complex and I am viewing it as an outsider.

But I am incredibly interested in the underlieing motivations of the demonstrators and those of the people at whom the demonstrations are being aimed.

That’s true in Bahrain. I don’t think that’s true in other gulf states.

The protests in Syria aren’t religiously based. They’re complaining about corruption and a lack of civil rights. The Syrian government is assisting Libya because they’re bastards…no religious thing there.

In Iraq, maybe. In Bahrain, no. In Iran, definitely not.

These demonstrations aren’t really religious in nature. They’ve been sparked by high food prices and government repression and corruption. But it’s not a Shia-Sunni thing.

I hasten to say that I really, have no dog in this fight, but I really wan’t to learn.

What in your view, sparked the high food prices ?

That’s the million dollar question. Part of it was local conditions; unemployment and inflation, but a lot of it is that with climate change, high oil prices, the use of US corn for ethanol, growing population, and a bunch of other factors, global demand for food is just outstripping supply. The FAO reported that in February of this year, global food prices hit a record high.

So, I think I can take a crack at your questions, but I’m curious. Are you interested more in 1) What al-Qaeda’s deal is or 2) What’s going on religiously with all of these protests in Muslim countries or 3) The Sunni/Shia split? Or something else entirely?

Sunnis have clergy too. The difference is that Shia has a centralized clerical authority.