It Behooves Texas Rep. Betty Brown To Shut Up

Starting with Elizabeth Brown?

I’m signing my letter to her “Audrey Yamazaki Ngai Chanakarm Chung Leung Kim Jun-Soo Liliuo’kalani Dang.”

When I voted for Obama, i used my expired sams club ID to vote. Where is this a problem in Texas…I’d get pissed about all the Texas bashing if it wasn’t deserved.

Yeah, me too. I am proud of being a Texan…sometimes. Other times I want to claim another state, ANY other state, as my home.

If I were to tell you how many recovering Texans I know who are living here in MN, you wouldn’t believe, already.

Maybe that’s how Michelle Bachman got re-elected: expat Texans homesick for the crazy of a Betty Brown type.

它是好的

What is it about Texas government systems? I had a friend who went to get a Texas driver’s license, having moved there from Alaska. She was told at the Texas DMV that she’d have to take a driving test and do all kinds of paperwork to get the license “because we don’t accept driver’s licenses from foreign countries.”

WTF? My friend couldn’t make the clerk believe Alaska is a US state. When the supervisor was called into the dispute my friend said she seemed suspicious as well, but let her get the license. Probably the supe just didn’t want to deal with my friend any more.

If we acknowledge that Alaska is a US state, then we also have to admit that we aren’t the biggest US state. :wink:

Eh? The Texas house has 71 Dems and 79 Republicans. The Senate has 19 Republicans and 12 Dems. The GOP controls both houses, but the margins are a long way from indicating a one-party state.

Maybe I got it wrong, but it seemed to me that the actual problem was that some Asian-Americans were using different names on different kinds of official identification, e.g., a “Chinese” name on a birth certificate and an “American” name on a driver’s license, or something like that.

It seems to me that this is an actual problem. Regardless of any nicknames a person might use casually, it doesn’t seem to me that there is any good reason to have differing names appear on different types of official forms.

Furthermore, I kind of find it offensive that it seems to be that some immigrants consider it de rigeur to adopt an “American” (i.e., English or European) name. We’re all Americans once we arrive. There’s no need to change our names. As soon as I become an American, my name is American. There should be no concession based on the assumption that English or European-origin names are more American than Asian-origin names.

And to the degree that this is a problem, it’s idiots like Brown that are causing it. She’s the one that “it would behoove you and your citizens to adopt a name that we could deal with more readily here” and “it a lot easier for you and the people who are poll workers if you could adopt a name just for identification purposes that’s easier for Americans to deal with”. People like Brown are the ones who want Chinese-Americans to invent an “American” name because they’re confused by people’s real names.

This is a real chink in Brown’s armour.

I hope someone didn’t beat me to the punch.

The Onion’s take on this issue.

Absolutely, as regards legal forms of ID. Her friends can call her Betty, Liz, or Sugar-Lips if they want.

Now this is funny.

There’s a human interest story in the NY Times today, titled China Brushes Out Distinctive Hues of Names. You know where this is going.

I think reality wants to have a word with The Onion.

They’re essentially just shrinking their alphabet-substitute for official purposes, aren’t they? U.S. government computers don’t accept a lot of characters. People with names written in foreign scripts have to transliterate them to the 26-letter English alphabet.