It is a Violation of Federal Law to Use This Product in a Manner Inconsistent with...

…its labeling.

Appearing on many products, but in this case on a package of “Disinfecting Wipes, lemon Scent,” Target store brand.

The labeling suggests that it should be used to clean hard and non-porous surfaces such as countertops, fax machines (fax machines??), and tables, and should not be used to clean people or be flushed down the toilet, among other things.

So if I do use it to clean a person, or if I flush it down the toilet, am I violating federal law? Seems unlikely. So what’s the point of putting this warning on the label? And under what circumstances am I going to be arrested for misusing these wipes??

I think part of the reason for the warning is to protect the company from liability arising from misuse of the product. You probably don’t have to worry about an ATF raid your house if you use your cleaner on a porous surface, but good luck being able to sue if it ends up ruining whatever it was you were cleaning.

The Master Speaks. (Or, Spoke - 26 years ago.)

Cool! Thank you!

They’re probably also worried about use as an inhalant, by stupid teenagers trying to get high.

One real example I’ve heard about is using too may bug bombs to fumigate a house. Bug bombs aren’t very effective any more because the strongest and best bug killing chemicals are no longer included in the retail products. So, frustrated homeowners think more is better. They set off three in every room. 18 bug bombs.

It reaches the pilot light on the hot water heater or stove. boom! Mythbusters did a segment on this too.
http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/als-morning-meeting/22474/monday-edition-fogger-fires-bug-bomb-blazes/

<making_fun_of_username>
Target sells regular soap, too. That would work, and it’s legal.
</making_fun_of_username>
:smiley:

They manufacturers may be happy to include this notation on their label for this reason. But whether they put that message voluntarily or not, I believe it’s required by law. I think.

Soap? Soap?
I dunno. “Ulf the Washed” doesn’t have the same ring to it…