It is fucking July. Take the goddam campaign stickers off your fucking car.

Is a “Don’t Blame Me, I Voted For Kodos” sticker OK?

You mean instead of those two FBI guys?

I drove past a house that still has a Bush/Cheney lawn sign up on the way to the bank yesterday. Now that’s [del]laziness[/del]dedication! I’m kinda interested in seeing how long that one stays up.

I still have my Feingold sticker on my bumper, but that’s because Russ Feingold is just that cool. Wouldn’t do it for any other candidate. I’m thinking about removing the “2004” part so it’s more generally applicable, though.

Hey, I’m a liberal, it’s an old Volvo. If I DIDN’T put bumper stickers on it, people would probably be a lot more surprised.

On the way to work yesterday I passed a pickup truck sporting a Bush/Cheney sticker and the license plate DIM 4002.
Good for a chuckle.

Who knows? The “IMPEACH CLINTON” sticker might still become relevant someday as well.

I’m with Gangster on this one…no political schmuck deserves a spot my bumper…

…unless…

Bidding will now start at $1000/square inch! :smiley:

Sorry; didn’t notice your location.

I’m still not taking off my Kerry sticker, though.

–Cliffy

But then, how would I know which gas tanks to open when I have to take a piss?

What’s really great is when people refuse to take campaign stickers off cars that are mainly driven by others.

There’s been a W sticker on the car my brother and sister share for a long time, and both are more liberal than anything. Whenever I drive it I want to put another sticker next to it that says “the sentiments expressed by this sticker do not necessarily represent the views of the driver” to keep people from either “sympathizing” or frothing unnecessarily. I myself would never put a campaign sticker on my car, and I’m convinced my dad did it just to bug the hell out of us, and that’s why it stays there. Thank god my own car will be back at the house after this summer.

Why don’t they just take the sticker off?

Depending on my dad’s mood, it might be grounds for temporary suspension of driving privileges. (It’s his car.)

Oh, I dunno, I think the sticker I’ve saved from a local election will always be tasteless. “VOTE YES FOR (Isiah) BEAVER!” The lecherous-looking winking beaver is my favorite part.

[sentimental aside] Ah, the veedub bus! Was ever a more perfect machine? Engineered to be generous and understanding, to accept as repair what any other vehicle would scorn as undignified jerry-rigging! To carry six hippies, three children, two dogs and a short ton of good karma anywhere, anytime, for any reason, without complaint, without a breakdown that couldn’t be fixed with a pair of pliers and a coathanger.

Mine own might yet be with us, were it not for the Duct Tape Famine of '83. Pursuant to her wishes, she went to her retirement as a combination ground-level treehouse, starship, and ad hoc chicken coop.

Rust in peace, good and faithful servant!

Sentiment can be helped along a bit by those chemicals you were consuming at the time.

Clearheaded folks realized that those repairs may have been cheap, but they were far too frequent. And the vehicle was engineered to be generous, understanding, and also to use the driver’s legs as a crumple zone in a head on crash.

Makes me want a voters button of long ago during one of FDR runs by one of his opponents turned into a bumper sticker:

No man is good three times!

Now that is a bumper sticker!

Well, you may be right. But just so we can get some focus on your expertise…

How old were you in 1971?

Well, expertise can take several forms. I have driven several VW vans of early-'70’s, mid-'80’s, and late-'90’s vintage, though I have never personally owned one. And I considered buying a camper model once, and in researching the model became acquainted with it’s comsiderable virtues and numerous flaws.

Knowlege isn’t restricted to people of a certain age, especially direct expertise of tangible items because they do not go away.

Now, if I were to wonder what it was like to actually burn a draft card or put Brylcreme in my hair, I might look you up, old man. For the record, I was a toddler in 1971, and my parents had traded in their Volkswagen for a nice sensible Chevrolet. And I seem to recall, the first election I can remember, a Ford sticker showing up on its bumper.

I had no idea someone could be born Republican! I’ll make an effort to be more sympathetic in the future.

BTW, elucidator, if you liked the old 'bus so mich, just bide your time.

VW intends to have it out again for the 2007 model year.

Actually my folks were Democrats then, and they’re Democrats today. Reliable Democratic voters in local and state elections. My dad and grandfather were steelworkers and union men.

At the time, though, the Democratic Party was having a bit of a fit at the national level, and my folks were among those many thousands of Democrats who chose to vote for Republican presidential candidates. They did so from 1968 to 1992, when a moderate candidate finally convinced them to come back to a party they’d always supported in most elections anyway.

There’s a lesson here, one I picked up and have brought to many, many threads. Precious few of you seem to have been listening.

Now, me, I’m a conservative Republican. Have been since I could donate money and time to candidates, even before I could vote. But I certainly wasn’t born that way, and I came from a part of the country and a family where such a leaning would have been a quite conscious choice.

See, Moto, all you have to do is kill the joke. It isn’t really necessary to pound a stake through its heart.