IT job titles

So, how many different types of IT work is out there? This includes hardware and software.

Here is what I know is out there:
[ul]
[li]Help desk[/li][li]Repair[/li][li]Programming[/li][LIST]
[li]Software developer[/li][li]Software engineer[/li][/ul]
[li]Network[/li][ul]
[li]Technician[/li][li]Engineer[/li][li]Administrator[/li][/ul]
[li]Database Administrator[/li][/LIST]

What else is out there?

Systems Administrator/Engineer

Which can then be broken down by OS type (Windows, Unix, VMS, etc) if you like.

Also the various Desktop Support roles

Don’t know if these are standard but we have

Architect
Analyst
Project manager
Program Manager
Tester
Requirements lead
Release Manager
Release planner
Deployment manager

And probably a bunch more I’m forgetting

I am a systems analyst. It is a broad job title that combines technical and business knowledge to solve business problems. Systems analysts vary a lot in what they do. Many do lots of hands on programming but also some project management and dealing with other types of management to provide solutions. Lots of companies have them and it is a direct path to the CIO position.

There are also business systems analysts that are similar but focus more on the business rather than the technical side.

Software architect is another type of job in this category and sometimes ranked as one of the best jobs to have among all jobs. They design software packages the way other architects design buildings. They are similar to some in some ways but focus on a smaller number of large projects with more individual control.

I work for a mega-corp in IT. There are probably about 100 specific job titles within IT there. Don’t forget Quality Assurance teams and really specific IT jobs like EDI (electronic data interchange) coordinator. There is just plain programmer as well. Not all of them are software engineers. You left off L1, L2, and L3 support staff as well which is the general help desk through disaster recovery and specialized support.

You’ve all forgotten ‘Overlord.’

Unfortunately the job titles are pretty arbitrary and mean different things in different companies.

Mine is High Wizard of Technology. (OK, I didn’t actually put that on my cards, but I thought about it, since in a small company a title is pretty meaningless.)

(looks at business card)
Programmer/Systems Analyst. Like Shagnasty said, it’s pretty broad. I work for small County Government. Specifically GIS.

The analyst part is getting different systems talking to each other and meshing spatial data with tabular data. A lot of what I do is “OK, how the heck are we going to get this done ?”.

I need to understand the business processes and databases of other departments. And evaluate new systems coming online.

Also a lot of DB design which could really be a separate title on its own. Fits pretty good with Systems Analyst though. I also write and maintain quite a bit of code.

Girl.

Everyone always leaves off the security administrators and analysts.

Probably because we tend to irritate them. :dubious:

I am not entirely awake this morning, and read the title as** IT job titties**. My disappointment with the actual thread content is great. :frowning:

What would be a low level position for monitoring a network? Network technician I think is the lowest level. It’s usually lower than a network engineer, and definitely lower than a network administrator.

IT job titties doesn’t even make sense. :dubious:

And let’s not forget the technical writers, too often overlooked and under-appreciated.
Morgyn
Technical Writer (currently unemployed)

Usability, User Interface, User Interaction, and Information Architecture often have dedicated people with a variety of titles.

One of my previous job titles was User Experience Engineer. :stuck_out_tongue:

Certainly not in my office.

It makes perfect sense if you remember that “titty” is a synonym for “boob.”

I’m a software developer and my title is “Staff Scientist”

I guess you’re whooshing me here because everybody knows that titty means boob.

That must sound impressive on a resume :cool:.

I took a tech writing class a couple of years ago and wouldn’t mind being a tech writer, but I have a feeling one college class in tech writing probably wouldn’t make me very qualified.