It takes a lot of effort to be nasty

Wow did that(OP) bring back memories. I had a customer just like that once. I was almost to the point of tears. I worked a very late shift in a diner, alone with just the cook.
When my guy started in with the rude comments, I had about 3 other tables. They were telling him to shut up. In fact, one tiny teenage girl stood on the booth and told him to leave me alone! It got really tense. I was about to call the cops.
The manager was gone. It was just the skinny cook and me, so the cook finally came out and kicked them out. It was also a husband and wife. But in my case the wife looked very scared too. I see them around from time to time, and the guy still gives me a death stare. The scary thing is that he has two kids now, and I hope he isn’t mean to them! He just hated me from the minute I said hello, and I have had never had a problem like that before, or after.
The funny part, after the fact, was that the food he complained about, (everything) was half gone, and when he was kicked out he was trying to take it with him. We didn’t have them pay anything, and he was picking up all his food in his bare hands and trying to take it!!! The cook said, “If it was so horrible, leave it and go!!!”

I hope your son doesn’t take it personally, and can try and forget it.
Some people are just awful.

p.s. My rude guy wasn’t diabetic, just an ass.
I do think now, that he wanted a free meal, and also just got off on being abusive.

I’ll admit to being the rude diabetic bitch. It was before I got my medications straightened out, if that’s any excuse.

I was starving. We went to a Waffle House and ordered breakfast. After ordering, we waited and waited for our food. Other people that had come in after us were getting their food. I started losing it, but held my tongue - at least to the waitress. My husband had to put up with me.

At Waffle House, they shout out the order to the short order cook. I heard her call out our order, a long time after we placed the order. She had forgotten to place our order! I yelled out to her that I heard her place the order late. She was all apologetic, but it wasn’t enough for my low-blood-sugar brain, and I tore her a new one.

I still tipped her 15% (I normally tip 20%,) but I didn’t apologize for yelling at her. I’m sure she was new. I feel bad now, but damn - I was hungry! I was actually shaking. I should have asked for juice or something immediately.