It takes a lot of effort to be nasty

My son is a server at Steak 'n Shake. He recently had a customer who was just so over the top nasty that the manager had to throw him out of the store.

First off, the man demanded a salad immediately because he was diabetic. He ordered ranch and bleu cheese dressing, and when my son brought it out, he told my son that he had ordered honey mustard.

Then he asked where the coffee was. Then, he sarcastically asked for creamer and spoons, accused my son of throwing stuff on the table…that sort of thing. He cursed up a storm, so much so that a guest at another table asked him to tone it down. I believe the man responded by telling the other gentleman to perform a physically impossible act on himself.

What finally broke the camel’s back was the Horrid Man threatened to throw something at my son’s face if he continued to wait on him. My son then got the manager, who asked the man and his wife (apparently she was also being a bitch) to leave. It took some doing, but they finally left.

The funny thing was, my SIL and her two daughters had been in the restaurant and left shortly before this man arrived. My son waited on them, and his cousins got a kick out of Big Cousin Ivyboy being their waiter. I can only imagine my SIL’s reaction if she had seen her nephew being verbally abused and physically threatened.

All in all, it turned out okay, the other tables vouched for my son with the manager, and the manager found out first-hand how horrible this man was. I guess what is beyond my comprehension is why some people get such enjoyment out of verbally abusing a teenage waiter who’s just trying to work his way through school. I suppose it’s possible they were doing some sort of social experiment…how far can we go before we get tossed from the restaurant…but it takes so much effort to be nasty. If you’re having that miserable an experience, ask to speak to the manager, but don’t threaten to throw stuff in the server’s face!

It sounds like being nasty was fairly effortless for that guy. Somepeople have a natural ability where nastiness is concerned.

It sounds like the customer may have been having a problem if he needed food immediately because he was a diabetic. His blood sugar may have been too low causing a reaction.

In that case, it doesn’t take too much effort to be irritable. He may have been having a reaction from an illness.

I’ve waited on diabetics before. In fact, all the guy said was, “I need a glass of orange juice. NOW.” I got what he was saying immediately, and brought the juice out to him without even waiting to ring it up.

If you’re diabetic enough to get that irritable, then isn’t that you’re own fault for not better managing your illness? He was rude to my son, the manager, and other diners. I don’t think having low blood sugar is an excuse.

In which case he needed to recognize that in himself and control it, not lash out for the entire meal. I can tell when my attitude is going down the sink because of lack of food, and I’m capable of reining it in until I eat.

Besides, how would that excuse asking for ranch and bleu cheese and then insisting he wanted honey mustard?

Nuts is nuts. Maybe he’s diabetic & maybe he’s having an event. Or maybe not.

5% of the population is just one provocation away from epic jerkdom, and 1/2 of 1% thinks you breathing is provocatiopn enough for them.

If your cousin continues to work retail he’ll collect a new story like this at least every couple of months.

I won’t claim to know about how insulin reactions make all diabetics behave, but I do have a lot of experience with one diabetic - my mom, who’s had Type 1 for most of her life. She doesn’t get nasty or rude; she becomes sort of childlike and confused and refuses to admit that anything is wrong at all, even when it’s totally obvious that she’s having an insulin reaction. You have to be very calm and soothing and convince her that she should just drink the juice even though she keeps insisting that she doesn’t want any. A few minutes after having something sugary, she’s back to her old self.

This guy doesn’t sound like he was having an insulin reaction to me, he just sounds like a jerk, and using his illness as an excuse to behave horribly.

Probably mental illness. I’ve never known anyone to act like that in a restaurant, diabetic or not.

I have.

Mind you, the guy worked in Public Relations so I assumed his behaviour stemmed from years of training in his chosen profession.

Cite? :smiley:

I try to ask him what nice people he waited on, just to remind him that most of the time, people aren’t total buttheads.

Any chance the customer was trying to lay the groundwork for grifting a free meal?

“an…an…an…he was rude to me! I want this meal free! An…an…an… I want a gift certificate from the manager so the next one’s free too…! I’m diabetic / got a heart condition / am the ‘always right’ customer / will write to corporate / am well versed at grifting free things from retaurants and stores…”

Maybe some sort of Turrets syndrome? Guy doesn’t sound all there to me.

From what my son told me, he was coherent, just plain rude and obnoxious.

Count, I’ve been a server when someone has gotten a free meal. I delivered fajitas, went to go get their beer, next thing I know, they’re screaming there was an aspirin in the skillet.

Now, I had no aspirin on me, and the cook staff said they didn’t either. But in a case like that, the manager really has no choice but to comp their meal. They can’t prove the customer didn’t put the aspirin in themselves, which is what we believe happened.

My best friend in high school was diabetic (Type I). She is one of the kindest people in the world and I never knew her to say something mean. However, the few times I saw her have a reaction, her personality did really change. It was a combination between the childlike confusion **Kyla **describes and a tendency to get nasty. While it is his responsibility to manage his illness, I’m sure it’s not always easy. I learned to steer her toward a sugary snack at the first sign of snappishness–because snappishness was completely out of character for her. And there is the problem that once an illness starts to affect you mentally, it only gets harder to manage. I’m glad the manager intervened so that **ivyboy **didn’t have to take abuse, but I’d chalk it up to the hazards of working with the public, some of whom may be (permanently or temporarily) mentally ill.

Yes, that makes it okay.

Some of the excuses for people’s behavior amaze me. I bet his son died that morning, he lost everything in the stock market in the past month, and he’s impotent. Gotta feel for a guy like that!

I agree. It sounds to me like the guy was having trouble thinking clearly from his hypoglycemia. It’s easy to see how someone who was confused and ill could become angry over not getting a salad dressing that he didn’t order and would accuse ivyboy of things he didn’t do.
Some people have very “brittle” diabetes and have a difficult time keeping it from swinging too high or low.

I deal with people who are angry and confused due to illness a lot in my line of work.
It’s counterproductive to get offended by it. Just try to understand that it probably doesn’t have anything to do with you personally.

Oh, and if a diabetic guy ever shows up again saying he’s having a hypoglycemia emergency, give him a handful of sugar packets from the coffee station or some coke. A salad isn’t the best way to raise your sugar fast anyway.

Tourette’s Syndrome is characterized by largely involuntary (or semi-voluntary) physical tics, and sometimes the spontaneous use of obscene or offensive words or phrases.

It does not, as far as i know, involve ongoing asshole behavior of the type described by the OP.

Look people, the guy probably did not have Tourette’s, and even if he was a diabetic, it was no excuse for his behavior. The guy is just a fucking asshole. End of story. Sometimes the most obvious explanation is the right one.

People go to restaurants for a variety of reasons, and as a former waiter I can vouch they don’t all come there for the food.

You get your lonely types who need a little nurturing. You get your needy types who need to be princess. You get your types who need to boss someone around and be demanding. Then, you get your mean types, who, apparently just don’t have enough people to be mean to in their lives.

That tip they may or may not leave you makes them feel entitled to what they should be paying a therapist $100/hr for.

I’m not sold on the diabetic thing either. I had an old friend who would always demand some particular thing and add, “I’m diabetic.” That’s supposed to put the fear of God and lawsuits into the poor waiter’s heart if he doesn’t get EVERYTHING right, the customer MIGHT DIE!!1!

A salad seems like an odd thing to ask for if you have low insulin. Wouldn’t a sugary soda be better, and work faster?

If the guy was having a diabetic problem (low blood sugar, I assume) how would a salad help? I am not a diabetes expert by any means, but wouldn’t juice or something that delivers a glucose hit be more appropriate than a salad?