It was a horse, it was an MMP

Shadow you write a wonderfully descriptive story. :slight_smile: It made me smile, and after this morning, that’s quite an accompolishment!

You made me think of the one time that I rode a horse. I was in fourth grade and it was one of the few things that my girl scout troup ever did. I was riding this obstinant horse named Shadow who wanted to keep stopping to eat the leaves off of the trees. Every time he stopped, which was all the time, I struggled to get him going again.

And knitting! I love to knit, but I was taught in a five minute lesson when I was about 13. My Aunt Joyce only showed me the garter/knit stitch, and to this day, that’s all I can do. Oh, I’ve tried to teach myself the rest from books, but for whatever reason, they all come out looking the same. I have no idea why; it’s a bit frustrating.

I love doing crafts and being creative. I’m currently working on my first needlepoint. It’s a pattern of the moon. I don’t usually work well with patterns, because I tend to like to make my own. So, we’ll see.

Pretty yarn, Shadow! But that Lady Elanor pattern frightens and confuses me. I shall stick to embroidery, thanks.

Still sick. Not as achy as yesterday. Finally got to sleep from 1-8 this morning. Yay.

That is SO nice of you, Shadow, to make something named after me, which means that IT IS MINE once you’re done! Isn’t she sweet, everybody? They don’t come nicer than MMPers! :wink:

I want to see pics of this optical illusion (and Foxfire) now!

Busy day today–the whole week is busy, culminating in being oncampus over the weekend. Daughter’s friend went back to Boston yesterday, so perhaps now we can all settle down.

VB-if it’s wrong, they should correct it. WTF? You don’t teach something as written if what’s written is wrong. What or who is the governing body or the one making up the test? I’d go to them (in your copious spare time).

Ooh, that’s pretty yarn. And a great story.
Morning, everyone.
I think I’ll go back to bed. Baby’s asleep.
Oooh, exciting news- Dishwashing Husband just bought a house, Friend From Work (the one I had long arguments with on Monday nights) is publishing a book of short stories, and yesterday I put on my prepregnancy jeans and they fit!

In spite of a steady diet of chocolate bars and pizza!
Back to bed.

Take us out for a spin! :smiley:

Class was fun today - we talked about The Little Mermaid and feminism.

Mousie, what happened? :frowning:

**VBob **-- I was a smartass like that once. In Basic Training. On, like, maybe the second day we were taught about aiming a weapon and the trajectory of the bullet (and how it affected your vertical aim) came up. I taught my platoon [del]slavedrive[/del] commander a thing or two about ballistic trajectories…

Smart move :smack:. Not… :rolleyes:

**Spaz **-- at least you didn’t die :slight_smile: Hope you get over Teh Sick soon!

**Rigs **-- FireFox. Well, it’s almost like FoxFire, isn’t it? :smiley:

ETA: Hi! to **Lili **and **Haze **who posted while I was composing. :waves:

I snuck back in here for a few… Lunch (n.o.l.) is almost ready except for packing it up to go.

Great OP, wonderful horse story, and gorgeous yarn, Shadow! I’ve drooled over La Lana wools on their website, but the price made me choke. Which is why, when I knitted the Lady Eleanor last year as a thank you present for snowbunny for helping me through my knee surgery, I used Noro Silk Garden Lite. Your Lady Eleanor is going to be simply stunning! Please do show us the finished work, okay?

My sister was the one who was horse-mad, but the few times I’ve been able to go riding, I’ve really enjoyed it. The best experience was once when, during a trail ride while on vacation somewhere or other, I lucked out and got a retired quarter horse who normally wasn’t in the “vacation hack riders” rotation; she was so incredibly responsive, I got some idea of what a joy riding could be. What did you and Foxfire compete in?

I was up waaaay to late again last night working, and need to shut up now and get back to it. Gotta get the last chunk of this job done today. The job that all three days were estimated at 500 pages, and I’m currently at 675 pages with at lleast 100-150 to go. :frowning: Can you spell N-O-T H-A-P-P-Y? :frowning:

Start your drinking early, Noon?

Couple points…

1. It’s almost 6 PM, whaddayamean, “early?”
  2. I’m in high tech… getting high involves, well… not-drinking:smiley:
  3. Hi, Rigs! Want to join me? :wink:

ETA: Just in case it wasn’t clear… yes, I know I said “couple” and wrote 3 points :smiley:

So you’d like to formally apologize to Haze, then, for your comments last week? :smiley:

Hey, I got on my knees and groveled already… what more do I need to do? :frowning:

I promised news!

Remember a couple of MMP’s ago I mentioned that eHarmony had matched me with an ex? Well you know what’s coming right? After several emails and a couple of friendly hockey games, he wants to try the dating thing again. I’m not usually one to do the whole “get back together” thing, but this time is different.

He is someone I genuinely like who happened to have a minor (read major) freakout when we dated the first time. He was only about 6 months into his separation, he had some things to work through, and he felt like he was being pushed into more than he could handle so he freaked and broke it off. I wasn’t pushing him at all, (I didn’t think anyway - not my intention if I did), but we didn’t talk about things. If he had said “I’m not ready for that yet” at any point, it would have been fine. We WILL be talking about things like that from now on. His divorce is final now, and he is ready to actually date again. So YAY! We will be talking about it when he gets back from his business trip this week, so I’ll post further developments as they happen.

That’s what’s keeping me from dying of The Sick!

That sounds like a cool discussion. It would be a great debate (Great Debate?) topic as well: “Resolved: The Little Mermaid should have stabbed that cheatin’ sonofabitch tout suite.”

was it the Disneyified version of LM or the Hans Christian Andersen version (which is in some ways, worse)?

Off to library and to run errands.

What lovely yarn, and a lovely horse story.

I got to go on a horse trip once, the first time I went to summer camp my Mom found one that hard horses. The only thing was, I had to also do a 5 day hike in the mountains (it was a two week camp). I made it through the hike, learned lots of things about myself, and then I got to go horseback riding. We had to take care of them too, for the five days. It was wonderful.

I’ve got some new yarn myself. I have way too many things on the needles, but I needed something green, so soon as I finish one of the pairs of socks I have on the needles I’ll be making some yellowy-green socks that are so springy. Just what I need to pick me up.

A first mmp participation for me… hi everybody. Hope your weekend was good. Mine was :slight_smile: Spent Friday night out with friends and met a nice guy (not really on the prowl, but crossing my fingers here because I liked him and who knows) then Saturday I spent it with my little man, just me and him having lunch and a movie (The Pirates Who Don’t Do Anything). He was pretty good for a first time at the theatre, except for some drama at the start because he got distracted by the video games and took off on me (nowhere I couldn’t see him, but not listening so we almost didn’t see the movie at all).

rigs, I’m afraid that the optical illusion, like Foxfire, is long gone. The owner of the land died and the new owners didn’t care for the hill, so they removed it. Ain’t progress grand? We weren’t a picture taking family, so I don’t have any of Foxfire, either.

I promise to take pictures of the completed project. I’m about one third of the way through already. The yarn was definitely worth the wait and the splurge. Lady E just gets more beautiful with each new skein. Since the skeins are so short (70 yards) I can easily knit a skein a day, so it feels like I’m making progress fast. I’m using my KnitPicks Harmony needles, and I have to say that while I love the pointy tip and the smoothness of the needle, the yarn keeps snagging on the part where the wood and metal meet. It’s not so much of a problem with this yarn, but I think it would be a Bad Thing for a softer yarn like merino.

Hockey Monkey, that’s great news!

Flutterby, welcome to the MMP!

Howdy Flutterby! How nice of you to <snerk> flutter by <snerk> from Skip’s place! I crack me up!

Sneakin’ in a lunch time post. I had to get out a couple hours. This afternoon, I get to monitor some random phone calls. I’m so excited. :rolleyes:

Later Y’all!

Gorgeous yarn, Shadow. I love the subtle variegation.

Most of all, though, kudos to you for actually making something with it! I always end up talking myself out of using my prettiest yarns, because I start thinking about how I might make the wrong thing and that no matter how much I love the pattern I pick, the most perfectest pattern ever will magically turn up as soon as I’ve finished my project.

So instead, my pretty yarns just sit in a box and wait for the most perfectest pattern to appear out of the blue. I’m really hoping I can figure out a use for this one someday soon… it’s begging to come out and play.

Th’only thing that could have made the OP better would have been a picture of **Shadow ** and Foxfire.