It was a horse, it was an MMP

It was a mule!

Twiddling my thumbs at work, as I wait for people to give me an answer to a question I’ve asked no less than 6 times in the last 3 days. sigh

Thanks Shadow.

You know me Swampie, I flutter here and there all the time. :slight_smile:

Both, actually - it was a comparison discussion, based on an essay written about how The Little Mermaid conforms to gender stereotypes instead of breaking them. Stuff like this has become kind of obvious to me now, but I remember how amazed I was as an undergrad at the “hidden” symbols and meanings - I think my students were, too, today. Hopefully, anyway.

Did No1 say something behind my back in the last MMP? :dubious:

Oh, just how he was making fun of your 13 steps in the 12 step plan.

She’s short, what others can cover in 12 steps, it takes Haze 13 to cover.

Just driving by, busy day, and oh yay - more f-ing snow on the way!!!

Haze, thank you! The package just arrived. Haze sent burp rags/towels embroidered with Tiny Ninja Chef! They’re really cool.

Family heirlooms, all the stuff you guys have sent.

You mean that the Mermaid is patient and self-sacrificing? I always thought it was interesting that although she’s in love with the prince, her real goal is an immortal soul, and not his love. Or, not just his love.

I always felt that Ariel just wanted adventure out of the sea, and the prince was her way to get it.

Vroooooooom! Drive by.

Work’s back to being insane. I’m disappointed too because I had lots of good weekend stuff to share! Maybe later.

Great OP, Shadow! I love horses! One of these years when I have a little more time and a little more $$, I’m going to start taking riding lessons again. I did for a little while in high school and 1 semester in college, but then… well, life intervened.

Very funny, MBG. :stuck_out_tongue:

Li-Li, I’m glad they arrived safely! I hope they end up being useful. I thought I slipped a book in there too - did you get it?

mmouse: Well, her desire to become human is initially internally motivated and an extension of her desire for subjecthood, but after she meets Eric it becomes externally motivated and her search for agency becomes a search for “true love,” which Disney obfuscates by emphasizing Ariel’s “rebelliousness” in the earlier part of the story. People tend to forget that while Ariel has always wanted to see the human world, it is her meeting with Eric that leads to her actively seeking a way to become human, and by that point her becoming human is more of a means than an end. In the Anderson version her desire for humanity is not out of a wish for agency but rather her yearning for an immortal soul, which is the key element that makes humans “better” than the merfolk. If Anderson’s tale was about social class distinctions (he always was bitter about being considered lower-class), Disney’s tale is about gender roles. The article we read for class argued that her reclaiming of her voice symbolizes hope for her, since she is no longer silent in a society where her husband is her master, but I disagree with this reading since her voice is objectified from the very beginning of the story - it’s her voice that Eric falls in love with; her voice that Ursula uses to fool Eric; and again, her voice that breaks the spell and lets Eric finally recognize her for who she is. Her voice has no value as an expression of her subjecthood but rather as a symbol of what makes her attractive as a woman in the first place.

Well, my Monday from Hell is done, so yay. I am so ready to retire…

I think when I was in school, I was the only girl who wasn’t interested in horses at all. Still not. I rode once - at my cousin’s. I sat on the horse while one of the adults led him around the yard. woo and hoo…

Taz has been in hyper-speed mode today, running up and down the stairs, charging from one end of the house to the other, leaping to top of cabinets, then diving down again. He’s entertaining, if marginally insane.

Um, what else? Nothing exciting.

Welcome, Flutterby!

Is it Firday yet??

Sounds like he needs some Kitty Kwiet[sup]TM[/sup] :smiley:

Whoot! First on page 2 without even trying. :stuck_out_tongue:

I second this notion.

I just woke up from an extremely irritating nap. Every time that I would fall asleep a client would call. This was both, of course, good and bad. I’d like the business, but can I also have a secretary to take my calls when I’m out? And one client called, found out that I’d delivered a lunch today to the place that she’s going tomorrow and decided that since I’d delivered her favorite food there today that she didn’t want me to deliver anything. I mean, cuz, we only have like 40 or so other things on the menu! :rolleyes: :smack:

You really think that’s the freshest I’ve ever been to Haze? :smiley:

And your client is batshit crazy :confused:

BTW, Haze – I hate to nitpick you every week, but it’s very definitely Anderse**n. Sorry, it just hurts my eyes…

**FCM **-- I’m am slowly becoming convinced **Taz **and **Silly **were separated at birth :rolleyes:

Ok, I’m back. At least for a moment.

Nothing went right this morning. But I think now we’re starting to move in the right direction.

Good weekend. We found 2 area rugs, one for the dining room and one for the sitting area off the kitchen. The DR one is on order and we should get it in under 2 weeks. The sitting area one we brought home last night and it looks great! And it’s really really soft and thick and wonderful.

I made apple pie last night and I think it was the best pie I’ve ever made. It was groan-out-loud-at-the-first-bite good. And I made soup and homemade bread for din-din. So now we have bread for toast for breakfast. I love homemade bread toast.

Ah, you’re right. I wrote that in a hurry - Monday mornings are always hectic for me.

So many papers to grade nooooooooooooooo…

Homemade bread toast is great.

My mom makes this great honey wheat bread (sort of, we have a bread machine but I can never get it right), and it’s wonderful to eat. Toasted, or fresh from the breadmaker, or just with some butter.

You’re making me hungry for some and I won’t be home for another 3 hours. :frowning:

grumble

Looks like someone has a case of the Mondays…

:stuck_out_tongue:

Awww, how sweet of Haze! So glad that Nat is a part of the Mumpers “family” - more pics, btw, LiLi. :slight_smile:

Puggy, I was -totally- into those Walter Farley books in elementary school! I read Black Stallion, Island Stallion, many of them. I wanted a horse for Christmas one year - this even though I’d only ridden once. I actually told my parents we could keep the horse in the garage! :wink: Good thing they didn’t listen to me, eh? :slight_smile:

I just had some whole wheat pita bread and hummus; boy, was that tasty. Hopefully that will tide me over. LOL I sneaked a little baba ghanouj in there too. Very tasty. Love that tahini!

Had a busy day at work today; I’m an “LMS training administrator” for several divisions, meaning that I enter training information into the government-wide online system that tracks training for the OPFs (official personnel folders). Apparently, there are a variety of LMS systems out there, each agency gets to pick which one they use. Of course the one my agency chose is not a user-friendly variety. :smack: So I had a slight headache by lunchtime today. I’ll echo the question of FCM: Is it Firday yet?!

So you were talking about a mix between the Disney and Andersen version? Cause they’re very different. I like the original better. I’m morbid. :smiley:

The Tale of Peter Rabbit came, too.
Oops, baby’s calling. Bye.