It wasn’t a coup

I’ll repeat what I said at the start of this thread:

I stand by every word almost 2 years later.

ISWYDT

Shit, @Velocity, I guess my question applies to you too:

Given that Trump was referred to the DOJ for Insurrection, have you changed your mind?

Well, maybe not ‘instilling’ :wink:

Reposting this because I liked it so much last year.

Okay I don’t stand by the typo.

Wow the OP sure showed me up on the NFT thing, so we can all just go home now.

Actually, non-sarcastically, I do love the painstaking deliberation on the part of “the experts” in this regard. Because I want the folks who are officially classifying this stuff to take the time to get the facts and weigh the evidence, even if they end up only confirming what some more shoot-from-the-hip political analysts opined about it long ago.

And speaking of people it would be interesting to hear from about whether they’ve subsequently altered their views on the seriousness of the Jan. 6 events:

Sam_Stone in March 2021:

Sam_Stone in July 2021:

Well, maybe, but Sam_Stone is a moron.

He’s also a piece of shit.

He’s turned into a caricature of a moron.

Well, he’s kinda right. His final line is gold:

No self-respecting insurrection can be carried out with Viking helmets and selfie sticks.

There was nothing self-respecting or indeed anything-respecting about what those morons did. It was treason by idiot.

And meanwhile Trump had been trying like mad for 6 weeks, and pretty darn hard for the previous 4 years to suborn enough of the government to put some real muscle behind the rabble.

On the day of, the rest of the government could not stop Trump bleating his public demand for a coup. But they sure as hell made sure that nothing that looked like an order to perform the coup using Federal forces ever went anywhere. Instead Trump was shouting into Twitter and only the twits showed up.

Rest assured those twits could have killed a couple hundred members of Congress before they ran out of ideas, beer, and Slim Jims. And that in turn could well have destabilized the rest of the political establishment enough that who knows where we’d be today.

They were dangerous. And would have been far more so with just a little more help from the Feds. Help which was not, thank goodness, forthcoming. Much.

I like your description! To expand:

It was treason:

a. instigated by an idiot,
b. carried out by idiots,
c. excused by other idiots,
d. supported by even more idiots.

It’s well known in legal circles, that if a bank robbery is carried out by complete idiots who fail to get any money…

Then it was all good, and we need to just let it go. Particularly we need not even do a cursory investigation of the main idiot who planned it all. Because he was an idiot, he gets a pass on criminal acts.

Any decent mall lawyer or pillow salesman could tell you that.

No one expects The Hindsight Bandwagon Inquisition! Actually, we do because this is The Straight Dope.

If you dudes are looking for a retraction or affirmation of grave error, fine, the conclusion I drew as the title of this thread was incorrect. It has been a long time, but I think I said that way up top shortly after the OP as well.

To be fair to me, much has come to light since this thread started that no one here knew at the time, I can comfort my imagined bruised ego with that I guess.

Yes. But, as noted, even 2 months prior to January 6th, the signs were there. We literally tracked them here in real time, man.

Yay! A mug of your favorite beverage is virtually coming your way!

(not valid on earth)

Just send him a NFT.

Thanks for that, Sitnam. Man, it’s been a long thread. I could use an NFT of a beer…

By the way, every time I saw this thread title (for almost two years now), my brain chimed in with "It wasn’t a coop-de-doop".