Italy attempts to arrest 13 CIA agents for arresting/extraditing a suspect to Egypt

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/italy_cia;_ylt=AoE8EN6X.FufhFYV1gpPL3Cs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3ODdxdHBhBHNlYwM5NjQ-

ROME - An Italian judge on Friday ordered the arrests of 13 CIA officers for secretly transporting a Muslim preacher from Italy to Egypt as part of U.S. anti-terrorism efforts — a rare public objection to the practice by a close American ally

The Egyptian was spirited away in 2003, purportedly as part of the CIA’s “extraordinary rendition” program in which terror suspects are transferred to third countries without court approval, subjecting them to possible torture.

I don’t know if their motive was to prohibit torture but the UN convention on torture says

http://www.hrweb.org/legal/cat.html

Article 3
No State Party shall expel, return (“refouler”) or extradite a person to another State where there are substantial grounds for believing that he would be in danger of being subjected to torture.
And both the US and Italy ratified it. Maybe their motive was just anger over feeling Italian soveriginity was violated. But if it was to prohibit torture then good for them.

Given the context, there’s some irony in the article’s last sentence :

I mean, seriously, how could you trust guys who make a fuss just because you secretly abduct people in their country…?

Ummm… the bastard had it coming…

Nah… I got nothin’… it’s just wrong.

I don’t think it’s correct to see any motive of the Italian government in this at all.

More likely it’s good police work motivated by A) a sense of justice and B) a bit of ‘let’s get those damn american’s back even if our government won’t’.

If the Italians did this to prevent torture, good for them. If they did it to enforce their own laws against kidnapping, good for them.

In Italy, Anger at U.S. Tactics Colors Spy Case

My initial reading of this article was that the Italians are pissed at the Americans most of all for screwing up a long and careful terrorism investigation.

Part of a pattern, too.

I read about this in the International Herald Tribune today. Several people contacted for the article seemed to think the CIA agents were operating with the consent of the Italian government, since the agents were operating so openly (renting cars using their real names, making long phone calls on their cell phones, leaving their cell phones turned on for hours at a time, etc.). Fortunately, the police apparently decided that the Italian government may not merely set aside Italian law when it suits them to do so.

I am embarrassed that my country’s government has this kidnap-to-torture policy, and that it came down to the Italian government to stand up and say, “This is wrong.”

Why be embarrassed, some pubby’ll come along any moment and justify for you.

It does make me wonder if this is only the milder end if US activity, the more one hears and reads, the less shiny the principles of the US appear to be.

Yeah, ain’t it cool?

It does, though, make one uneasy to see how far, how psychopathically far, our governmentis from perceiving the reality that they actually inhabit and how they are viewed in that reality by others

Some of the articles I have read have expressed dismay that the message is not “Extraordinary rendition and torture are wrong” but “It was wrong and inappropriate to cut us out of the operation”

When you say “cut us out of the operation,” who is “us?” Do you mean that Italy would rather be in on the torture? Please clarify.