It's A Grand Old Hillary

For her first State of the Union, I hope she declares that a new atmosphere of cooperation exists between the Executive and Legislative branches, immediately after taking the Republican Whip’s head off with a broadsword.

“Any of you sons of bitches got anything else to say, NOW’S THE FUCKING TIME!”

“I didn’t think so.”

“Gentlemen, this meeting is adjourned.”

Yep. He tried to be Abe Lincoln and name a strong and mixed party cabinet. Perhaps he was naive. Might have been better for Obama to be running this year after serving 8 years as Hillary’s Veep.

It took him until 2012 to start giving back some of the garbage he’d been getting from the GOP for four years. Too nice a guy. Perhaps he also overestimated the rationality of the voting public.

Hillary will be much more cynical. She won’t expect the GOP to be reasonable. She’ll know they’re incapable of that with regard to her.

Oh hush. I want to hear more about Donald’s Bane.

Well, that would be Donald’s “Hair” – a word which, BTW, derives from the Old English word “hiearr,” meaning “fuzzy orange extraterrestrial mind-controlling scalp-parasite.” The early Anglo-Saxons were actually much more scientifically sophisticated than later generations appreciated.

In case anybody cares…

Clinton and Bennett voted against a Constitutional Amendment against flag burning. Such an over-broad Amendment would have infringed on freedom of speech.

Presumably as a compromise, she supported this bill. It would be subject to Supreme Court Review. Here’s what it says: [INDENT][INDENT] Flag Protection Act of 2005 - Amends the federal criminal code to revise provisions regarding desecration of the flag to prohibit: (1) destroying or damaging a U.S. flag with the primary purpose and intent to incite or produce imminent violence or a breach of the peace; (2) intentionally threatening or intimidating any person, or group of persons, by burning a U.S. flag; or (3) stealing or knowingly converting the use of a U.S. flag belonging to the United States, or belonging to another person on U.S. lands, and intentionally destroying or damaging that flag. [/INDENT][/INDENT] So you can’t burn a flag with the primary purpose and intent to incite violence. Also you can’t intentionally threaten folks by burning the flag. Also you can’t steal a flag from the US Guv then burn it.

I can’t say I’m too freaked out about this bill, and I appreciate the attempt to avoid passing a Constitutional Amendment which bans flag burning. Not that I’ve ever had any interest in burning flags absent such an overbroad law or amendment.

Hillary haters are weird. And this is the best they’ve got.

…or if the flag is worn out. According to the Flag Code: INDENT The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning. [/INDENT]

I think you mean that she’ll be the next Democratic nominee.

(Unless you have a crystal ball you haven’t told us about.)

I’ve always wondered why, given the nature of the controversy surrounding flag-burning, they just wouldn’t make the flag out of non-flammable material.

Then someone would start up “flag stabbing”.

Valid point

I vote for “flag shredding”.

This is AMERICA, gahdammit! Flag-shooting.

They should make the entire flag out of the same material they use to make the black box.

Only in November and not on the fifth!

CMC fnord!