It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas

I’ve changed my location as it may be the spring thaw by the time I get out of here. On the bright side, I have a white car - I could have been in a snowbank till the spring thaw.

I made a bad decision. It snowed all the way from Ottawa to Sault Ste. Marie, and they expect at least six inches here by morning. I was hoping to make it to Wawa but the highway is closed. The worse news is that a major storm is taking shape to pass across every reasonable route. They’re calling for 12-15 inches in Thunder Bay, which was tomorrow’s likely stop. Northern Michigan and Wisconsin are also to be hammered.

Today’s forecast absolutely STUNK! Ottawa was supposed to have flurries; for the Soo they only said “snow squalls”. Flurries with 2-4 inches of accumulation, and squalls with 6-10. Wonderful.

It was a horrible drive. Colorado would have closed more of the highway than Ontario did; for about half the trip visibility was only the rear lights of the car in front of me. (It was clear only around Sudbury, where the landscape has been ravaged by pit mining. Real scenic.)

I’m thinking about crossing the border, taking 75 south and curling around through Chicago, in hopes that by the time I get there, the storm has passed Minnesota… I MUST be in Edmonton by Thursday even if I have to abandon the car and fly there.

The weather network is now informing me that record low temperatures are being set across the plains. Why couldn’t I have been a dual citizen of the Bahamas? Or possibly Tahiti?

I like winter; I really do. BUT NOT WHEN I’M FUCKING DRIVING ACROSS HALF THE FUCKING COUNTRY!

P.S. Anyone who lives in the Soo who wants to invite me for dinner, the only leaving of this motel room I’m doing is to open my door for the pizza delivery. :slight_smile:

We’re bracing for the southern end of that same storm (southern Minnesota). I’m not sure which is worse. The 10’15" on the north side, or the snow followed by ice that is being predicted here.

Just remember - assume that everyone else on the road is an idiot. The odds are with you on that.

My instinctive reaction is to say, “Hell, yes!” but the pack I was in the middle of for about 50k proves the exception. We just formed a line, drove exactly according to conditions whether fast or slow, and cruised along. Then some asshole coming out of a Tim Horton’s cut us off and everything went to hell after that.

Sorry that you’re stuck. Apparently it’s going to continual to be cold in western Canada for the next several days, so you’ll be having a chilly drive west. Thankfully today the wind died down, and we weren’t into the minus 30 windchill weather, and it’s been bright and sunny. Minus 12 felt almost balmy. Best of luck for the rest of your trip.
PS In Canada we call them the prairies, not the plains. :slight_smile:

We’re being hammered? Heh. This ain’t hammering. This isn’t even really anything to write home about.

As I said to Mr. Athena earlier this week: “Look, it’s snowing! If we were in Colorado, this’d be a storm!”

If you find yourself stuck closer to the central UP, send a PM, I’ll buy you a beer. :smiley:

So as I was heading home, the CBC announded that a “Colorado Low” was going to move through TBay saturday evening. So I think, wow, they’ve announced that Frank is comming. Then I think, shit, that’s Frank’s alter-ego they’re talking about, and it might mess with Frank’s travel plans, so back into work I go, to check the latest forcast and to log in here. No sooner do I arrive than the phone rings – the Colorado Low himself.

Here are the Environment Canada forcasts for TBay http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pages/on-100_metric_e.html

In short, if the hill at Montreal River north of the Soo opens at first light, you should be good to go as far as Nipigon before it gets nasty. Even when nasty, the highway usually stays open between Nipigon and TBay. The trick is to arrive at Montreal River at first light for when the road opens.

If the road between the Soo and Wawa is slow to open, you will not have enough time to make it to Nipigon before the bad weather sets in, and that means that there is a good chance that you will be stopped at Marathon for a day.

Call 1-800-268-4686 then press 1 for road conditions and closures: Ministry of Transportation | ontario.ca and for best information, try to speak with an OPP officer if you happen upon one, for they are the people who decide when to re-open.

If you make it as far as TBay, but are too far behind schedule, you can hop a WestJet flight to Edmonton. http://www.westjet.com/

There is a lot to be said for heading to Detroit or Chicago and either heading west or flying west from there.

Safe travels, Frank.

Not praiurieus? Huh.

(I’m operating on the principle of adding a “u” to euvryuthiung. :stuck_out_tongue: I have, seriously, started saying “zed”, as everyone wanted to write “c” when I said “zee”. That’s all I’ve changed so far.)

Nuh uh. But while you’re still there, you might want to call Ontario, Ontararario.

Y’aull are over thinking u use.

Let it come naturally.

Plough on through the neighbourhood. Manoeuvre into the parking lot of the Tim Hortons. The one near the cheque cashing place in the town centre. Watch for the dough coloured car.

Canadian spelling floughs nicely when you get used to it.

<ahem> :dubious:

:smiley:

Thanks very much for the research and the links.

Dang, I came into this thread to complain about houses that look like Walmart vomited decorations in the front yards. But, no, you’re pitting snow. Lovely, white, tasteful snow.

Drive carefully, Frank.

Yeah, the driving in Ottawa itself was really horrible today. Different weather all around the city.

Whenever you’re driving around the Great Lakes in winter you can be in for some shitty surprises. I remember getting caught in a couple of complete white outs driving London to Ottawa. Don’t be too proud to hole up at a gas station when it gets crazy.

Take it easy on those roads, Frank. We’re getting a light snow in Edmonton right now–you’re nowhere near there, of course, but it doesn’t seem as if things will get easier for you as you move west. It sounds like there are a number of Dopers along the way to help out if you need it, though, and don’t be afraid to hole up in a gas station/highway stop if you need to, as CarnalK suggests. I think most travelling Canadians have, one wintertime or another; you sure won’t be the first.

Drive safely, and keep us posted. I’m in Edmonton and busy with studying for Christmas exams; I could use a break for a beer when you hit town. (hint, hint)

I burnt out my pride/safety ratio long ago, in my hitch-hiking days.

I thought about stopping in Kanata. :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t intend to leave here tomorrow until I have about three backup plans, even if one of them is Sault St. Marie, Michigan. (Which it might be if I cross the border. If they search my car, it will take all day to put the jigsaw puzzle back together.)

I would sweat it if I were you. I’m in Toronto and planning to do Christmas shopping tomorrow. I can pretty well guarantee that the storm will be here by Saturday noon at the latest.

Oh, man! Whatever you do, don’t wash your car!

Dare I ask why you need to be in Edmonton? Or was that already covered and I missed it?
Drive safe. You know the roads are bad when Canadians aren’t speeding.

A job interview that I’ve already had two phone interviews and a reference check and an expression from both sides of “very interested” and a satisfactory to both sides preliminary coversation about money for.

Ah - I hope it goes well.
We’ve got a great province here - I hope you stay.

Remember: the farther south you are, the more about the roads shall people freak out.

Yellowknife: “Try not to sink in the lake, eh?”
Fargo: “No school, the plows are snowed in, but y’ll be okay”
Denver “Go home, no gvt work today”
Santa Fe “Chains on all roads”
El Paso “FUCK!!! THE BRIDGES WILL FREEZE! WE’RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!1!”

I now live in a zone where it snows maybe once a decade, and I sorta miss skiing to King Soopers after a blizzard when I lived in Boulder. True story.