It's May Day today!

I haven’t seen any mention on the SDMB of May Day today. Has the day’s commemoration diminished in importance?

The Catholic Church officially recognizes it as the “Feast of St. Joseph the Worker”. Which, yes, is of course an attempt to compete with communism.

It’s sad, but the last time I was excited about May Day was in early elementary school grades.

I get a five-day holiday followed by a six-day work week for Labor Day. I also alluded to the date in this month’s mini-rant thread title.

Last weekend, when I called my sister back in the US, she and I were lamenting over the fact Maypoles are no longer a thing in America.

It’s my best friend since way back in elementary school’s anniversary, & Iffn I was married to her I’d be saying mayday three times in a row. Hmmm, do you think I’d get relief just as if I said Beetlejuice three times?

Mayday! Why that’s the Russian New Year…

I knew a guy who would exclaim “First of May! First of May! Outdoor #^<~ing starts today!”

This is a mostly American board, and May 1 is not a big deal in the United States, so it’s not surprising that there is not a big discussion of it here.