It's Pancake Day!

I just realized the link has a recipe that only lists prune & cherry flavors.

:eek: :confused:

The most popular are raspberry, lemon and custard.

Yet another thing that makes me glad to be an American, the Constituitional right to eat Pancakes whenever I want to. Without the Govermment regulating when I can can cannot eat my 'cakes, Where I don’t have to live in fear of Jack-booted(FlapJack-Booted?) soldiers taking notes and reporting on my pancake eating lifestyle.

Og bless American, land of the freedom of the pancake!

I love Shrove Tuesday, at home. The local Anglican (Church of England) church would have a Pancake Supper and talent contest every year. We never won, but it was always a great time. No pancakes for me this year - Dave doesn’t like them and I can’t eat 'em on my diet.

Well, that’s just Weird.

Well, I’m not Church of England, I’m Episcopalian(the American version of COA). And tonight we are having a Shrove Tuesday celebration, with pancakes and sausage as the main attraction. Except that as I write freezing sleet is coming down and it seems lots of meetings and businesses are closing down early for the day. I’m not sure of the protocol for postponing something like this. I’d planned to do serious damage to the sausages, as I give up meat for Lent.

This is news?

I don’t know what the Episcopalian Church is called in Canada, perhaps it and the Anglican Church are one and the same?

Maybe no pancake day, but here in PA we have Fastnacht day. We get donuts instead of pancakes. Gotta love the PA Dutch!

Dangit, I’m an Episcopalian (American version of the COE), and I never heard of “Pancake Day.” I think it’s just another absurd English observance.

Like “Guy Fawke’s Day.” Some whacko tries to blow up your freakin’ Parliment and you make a celebration out of it? You people are weird.

Let’s compare and contrast English and American food-related holidays.

England - pancakes
America - turkey with all the trimmings

Somewhere along the way the poor English people got shafted.

Hey, little*bit, what kind of Paczki did you have today? I had strawberry with powdered suger. Not the lame kind with just jelly-like filling either, but with real slices of strawberry in the filling. mmmmmmmmmmmm…

hmmm, plastic beads and boobies vs. pancakes…

now that a FAIR fight…

-x out

All right! Someone else knows Fastnachts! I managed to pick one up at the venerable Maple Donuts chain in York, PA over the weekend. At Weis Markets, you could even have them brought out to your car!

And, in totally unrelated news, I see that our old sockpuppet/troll The Hamburglar is back in town.

Well, I just finished my second Paczki (cream-filled) of the night. There’s one left in the box in the kitchen. I can hear it’s siren call, but I will be firm…two is my limit…I will save the other for tomorrow.
Who the hell am I kidding? Even money says it’ll be gone in the next hour.

I’m in Canada, and my mom has always made pancakes for dinner on Pancake Tuesday. We’re far from religious, but it’s just what we’ve always done.
Tonight, me and the SO had pancakes with syrup, strawberries, and bananas, and some breakfast sausage for dinner.
Soooooo nummy!

American here; our church, also Episcopal, has a longstanding tradition of Shrove Tuesday pancake suppers. Just came back from it a couple hours ago.

Not that we don’t eat pancakes lots of other times too…

We went to Denny’s for dinner so I could have pancakes. I had them, Dave had a t-bone, and Matthew had chicken nuggets. So much for tradition.

I’m Episcopalian or Anglican, depending on who I’m talking to, and I’m sitting here with a belly full of pancakes and ham cooked by my old church’s Men’s Club, with more pancakes in the fridge for breakfast tomorrow. ShibbOleth, I’ve got to agree with you. With all the fine old Catholic traditions we kept when we broke away, why on earth did we give up Mardi Gras for pancakes? :smiley:

Ah well. This thread just confirms that this Anglo-American hybrid would be right at home in Canada. Oh, as for the difference between “Episcopalian” and “Anglican”, my understanding is that during the American Revolution, because the Americans didn’t want to be identified with anything English, the church changed its name to “Episcopal” from “Church of England.” Then again, this is just hearsay, so take it with a grain of salt and a few extra pancakes.

CJ

Actually, it wasn’t so much the church in America not wanting to be identified with England as the other way around. When the Revolution was over and Loyalist bishops left the former colonies, there were some difficulties, as the English church would not consecrate bishops for the Americans. The latter, to preserve the continuity of what is, I think, called apostolic tradition, did an end run around the Church of England and had a bishop(s) in Scotland consecrate Samuel Seabury.

See http://justus.anglican.org/resources/timeline/11ecusa.html

I had a coworker ask about these today. Being the transplant to SE Michigan I am, I registered only confusion. Now I kinda wish someone had brought them into work. They sound deliciously horrible.

Why are you people obsessed with pancakes?

Today is Fastnauht Day…or day of the donut. Donuts…ummm, fried up and covered in sugary glaze. Drroooooollll. I love Fastnauht day.

Yup, I live in PA. :slight_smile:

ghandi, I’m familiar with Donut Day, and I keep the tradition alive out here in LA.