Jackie
Jesse
Lee
Kim

I’ve known 2 male Shirleys
and 2 Peanuts, one of each sex.
Knew one Cricket, female.

Other interesting real names?

Until recently there was a female Kevin who worked where I do. I also have a female cousin named George. (Her actual name is George Ann, and everyone calls her Georgie.)

Oh, and let’s not forget Glenn Close!

And Drew, Jerry, and Lane.

Well now, I don’t know any female Jerrys. But Geri is pronounced the same way so I guess it more or less counts.

Actually, I can’t think of many male names which would surprise me on a female. Henry could be short for Henrietta, Bobbi for Roberta, etc. In fact I think the last letter is the key to gender: Billie is a girl, Billy is a boy, etc.

There are also plenty of “girlish” names I see applied to males, but these have a much bigger surprise factor. A man named Beverly or Ginger raises my eyebrows in a way that a woman named Bobbie Lee or Georg(i)e does not. I suspect this means that, deep down, I am part of a sexist patriarchal order.

Any similarity in the above text to an English word or phrase is purely coincidental.

I sometimes am called “Chris”.

I know a girl named, and I am not making this up, Michaelann.

“That’s entertainment!” —Vlad the Impaler

I am certainly not making this up either - I know a girl named plain old Michael.

I actually wanted to name our first daughter Kevyn after a friend from high school. Hubby didn’t like it much though, he wanted to go with Gilley Peekaboo.

Dana. Yes, not just Carvey. I knew a guy (jerk) and a gal (hot.)

I’ve known one male and one female of each of the following:

Dana
Rene
Joy

A boy named Joy? Oy!

Hey, the male Dana I knew was a jerk, too!

A few more that can be male or female:

Leslie
Terry
Gail

There’s Darryl Hannah, but I doubt that’s used too often for a woman.

“East is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does.” – Marx

Read “Sundials” in the new issue of Aboriginal Science Fiction. www.sff.net/people/rothman

The Brits like to use Evelyn and Leslie for men, which is mostly feminine names in the States.

And there is a famous woman named ‘Michael’: Michael Learned who was the actor[sup]1[/sup] who played the mom on Walton’s Mountain. Although, it’s more likely for girls to be named Micaela now, thanks to Medicine Woman.

Peace.

[sup]1[/sup]‘Actress’ is no longer used in the biz[sup]2[/sup].

[sup]2[/sup]If you have to ask ‘which business,’ you need your cultural IQ checked, there ain’t no business like it.

I have female friends named Brandon, Noah, and Sean.

Born O.K. the first time…

If you are born again, do you have two belly buttons?

Hey, has anyone mentioned Shannon? I used to know a guy by that name.

“That’s entertainment!” —Vlad the Impaler

Oh, bummer, I thought this thread was about pricciar. :wink:

One of my housemates is a thirteen year old girl named Kyle.

Sometimes this confuses me.

~Kyla

“You couldn’t fool your mother on the foolingest day of your life if you had an electrified fooling machine.”

My great-aunt was named George. George Crook Thomas.

We named our Daughter Smith Irene Hanson.

My wife chose the name “Smith”, after a female author (and friend) of hers. At first I thought it was strange, but now I love it, and we get compliments on it all the time.

Of course, she’s going to have to go through life saying, “No, that’s my FIRST name.”

Don’t forget Robin, which is a boy’s name in the UK but a girl’s name over here.

Robin Leach & Robin Tunney

Drew Carey & Drew Barrymore

Jamie Lee Curtis & . . . are there any famous male Jamies?

Jamie Farr.

Robin Wiliams isn’t from the UK as far as I know.

Someone asked about men named Shannon. I’ve known 2.

I crave an art that passionately transcends the mundane instead of being a device for self-deception.–Griffin, from The Griffin and Sabine trilogy.