"It's the end of the world as we know it..."

…and I feel like talking about movies where it actually happens(no Armageddon near-misses, please). My favorite happens to be titled End Of The World(1977), starring Christopher Lee and Christopher Lee. Never has so much been destroyed on so minuscule a budget.

“After The Dark” sort of fits. Which would be my favorite.

One I saw recently is an Australian movie called These Final Hours.

I confess to a love that has no explanation for 2012. :o

It’s a classroom setting working out “what-if” doomsday scenario. In the end, nothing is destroyed except a relationship or two. Not seeing how it fits.

Would ‘Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy’ work?
How about ‘Titan AE’?

Melancholia - the movie ends before the actual destruction, but it’s inevitable as the credits roll.

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World - also ends before the actual destruction, and it’s also inevitable as the credits roll. Named after a line in the Chris Cornell song “Preaching the End of the World.”

I said it sort of fits. You don’t see any parallels whatsoever?

Knowing with Nicolas Cage, it got very poor reviews but I liked it. Though my habit of watching movies knowing as little as possible about them beforehand may have helped.

To the OP, does the world destroying catastrophe have to happen in the movie or can it be set afterwards, because in The Road the world has very much been destroyed. That is one bleak movie, while an apocalypse like the one in Mad Max seems kind of fun in a violent, anarchistic, sort of way the scenario of The Road is not one anyone would want to live in.

Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb - I assume no link is necessary.

Knowing

We have a winner!

It’s not clear whether the OP is talking about the destruction of Earth as a planet, or the total end of humanity.

In On The Beach humanity, and possibly all life, is eradicated after a nuclear holocaust, but the Earth is not destroyed.

In When Worlds Collide, Earth is destroyed but humans survive.

Any situation where we don’t get to take up residence on the planet because we have ceased to exist and/or the Earth has ceased to exist.

Although Earth is destroyed, like When Worlds Collide a few humans survive.

I’ve raved about the 2001 J-Horror film Pulse here before.

The dead, having overpopulated deadworld, figure out how to come back to the world of the living through the internet.

Suicide becomes endemic and the real live people have to go underground.

Slow, dreamy, and spooky movie. Be sure to have lots of red tape on hand. (It keeps the dead people out)

In The Cabin in the Woods humanity is destroyed at the end by the Elder Gods.

When Worlds Collide.

Another of my favorites.

Already mentioned.

It’s When Worlds Collide-maybe he was referring to the other world in the title? :smiley: