It's the Great Minirants, Charlie Brown! (October minirants)

PSA: Thomas English Muffins is now making holiday flavored muffins. I accidentally ended up with pumpkin spice and thought that it wouldn’t be that bad. I was wrong. I didn’t quite spit it out, but it was really close.

The packaging on the flavored ones looks very much like their regular packaging. Be very careful, pumpkin spice and sour dough is a vile mix.

Our elderly downstairs neighbor died a few nights ago. Word is she took a bad fall at home then sometime later had a heart attack in the hospital. We didn’t see her as much as other neighbors did; mainly when she’d bring up packages which had been left by the mailbox or let us know something too heavy for her is down there.

Her relatives have been getting the place ready for sale, making all sorts of racket. Hammering and slamming doors, both hard enough to shake our floor. Today, our place absolutely reeked of acetone! I haven’t smelled anything that bad since I was in a car with an overturned bucket of Bondo in the back. At least the weather’s nice enough to have the windows & balcony door open.

One problem with that: there’s either a skunk or something which smells remarkably like skunk on the property. Maintenance refuses to do anything about said skunk smell so we’re stuck with closing up whichever side the skunk is on when the odor comes wafting in. It’s typically on the back side of the building, where I’m sitting, but sometimes it goes around front.

Mothballs (or crystals work great to keep skunks away. I’m not sure how well they would work for potheads, though.

The California smoke had just cleared up enough to enjoy sitting on the porch and reading, but then Crown King Arizona started burning again. :frowning:

My neighborhood is getting way too damn ghetto. Two nights this week, we’ve called 911 over gunfire. Two nights ago, shell casings WERE found in our parking lot.

Tonight, someone actually got shot. It’s been almost two hours since the event, and the parking lot is still swarming with police and crime scene tape.

Took our pontoon boat out of the water yesterday, always a sad and difficult day. I think my timing was right, as it wasn’t raining and the temperature was a pleasant 70.

I brought the boat toward the trailer on smooth water with zero wind, when out of nowhere gale force wind blew the boat cockeyed. I had to wade out in water that was ice cold and shoulder deep. Damn.

It’s snowing.
What the hell.

Man I wish the posters’ locations still showed onscreen. Where are you that it’s snowing already?

Minneapolis, Minnesota

We had an outdoor wedding there last weekend, beautiful weather. Apparently, we did that just in time.

32º F. this morning at the venue. But, that isn’t incredible for Minne-almostcanada-sota.

He’s added five more American flags now. It makes me giggle to think of him looking at last week’s display and saying, “I don’t know…it still needs something.”
The good news is, it doesn’t piss me off anymore. I’m finding it quite interesting. What will he do next?

In the great words of Christopher Walken, “Needs more cowbell.” :slight_smile:

I thought that too!

I have a performance review check in in 4 minutes. It’s not the year end review, just a check in. And I’m absurdly nervous about it. I don’t understand why I can’t just be a normal human and take criticism without it destroying my self worth. I’m just a crazy person. gah!

And then my review check in went just fine and all that anxiety was for nothing. My stupid brain needs to learn that this process is not painful.

Question: If you were the manager of a large liquor store, when would be the best time for a complete reorganization of the store layout?

Answer: If the liquor store is the one right near Wolfpup’s house, the best time is during a huge global pandemic, ideally when the pandemic is in its second wave locally. For maximum fun, start just before the weekend so that the point of maximum chaos begins on Friday afternoon and extends through the weekend. All staff should be off the floor and in the back warehouse, watching through little peepholes as hapless customers desperately try to find things, and fail, and then look around for someone to ask and find no one. Staff with a tendency to snicker are reminded to do so quietly.

Question: But in the long run, it’s all worth it, right?

Answer: Absolutely, if by “worth it” you mean creating the most possible chaos with no discernible benefit whatsoever.

@wolfpup you forgot “you damn kids, get off my lawn!!”

Love yah though

It especially irks me that some young whippersnapper, probably barely old enough to be my grandchild, is probably going to get an enormous bonus for “initiative in leveraging our customer-focused mission to enhance the liquor-shopping experience through optimization of the product presentation paradigm”.

You should make a sign and put it in front of his house. :grin:

“Almost-Canada”? Piss off. Here in southern Ontario it’s bright and sunny and an almost-balmy 60 degrees on the 'Murrican Fahrenheit scale. Just slightly cooler than room temperature, but much warmer in the sun. I was out shopping today in T-shirt and sandals.