I've discovered my career goal

It took me to the mid-40’s to realize it… oh, well. This crystalized for me at work Friday afternoon.

I want to be the technical director at a major performing arts center. I want to work with artists to create beauty, and be surrounded by it every day. I have most of the technical and organizational skills to make this happen, but I’m not with the right employer. Really, it’s too bad, as I like my company and my boss.

I’ve actually already applied for a job with the right employer by coincidence. I applied for a city job – basically the kind of work I do now for a hospital, but more technical than logistical and at a convention center . If I get the convention center job, I’m a lateral transfer away from working in the right place, a gorgeous new facility also staffed by city employees. Then it’s a simple matter of backstabbing and ass-kissing my way to the top. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve been notified that I’ve made it through the first cut of the convention center job. :smiley: Which, if I get it, would also be about 20% more $. :smiley: It is nearly too much for this son of an immigrant laborer to imagine having this solid middle class income for work I enjoy.

Holy crap, man, that’s awesome!! :smiley:

I’m in my early 30s and still not sure what I want to be when I grow up. I have a career as a tech writer, and I’m pretty good at it and I like it ok, but I keep thinking I can see myself doing something else…being an editor or fact-checker…getting back into radio…serendipitously discovering some career I don’t know about yet but that is perfect for me…something. I tend to play things like this by ear, though, so I’m not complainin’: I’ll finish my master’s degree, and see where I am in another 5 years.

You are only in your 40s, you’ve figured out what will make you happy (professionally), you know how to go about making it happen, you already have some of the tools necessary, and you’ve taken steps toward making it happen (the part that many folks get hung up on). All I can say is YAY, and good luck! :slight_smile:

But if you sell your soul to the Monona Terror you won’t have a soul to sell to the Overture Foundation.

Good luck to you, and out of respect I’ll refrain from metioning how much I loathe both the Monona Terrace and the Overture Center. Oh wait…

I have to admit to some of the same loathing on philosophical grounds. I loathed that they spent taxpayer money on the convention center, when if it was such a great business deal the private sector could have come up with the money. I hated the idea of the Overture Center, as a pitiful choice on how to spend the Frautschi gift. Really, a $100 million dollar gift to benefit the city’s arts community, and the best they can come up with a big honkin’ building? I’m reasonably sure the project displaced more artists than it provided a venue for.

But they’re done deals, ain’t going away, and have work right up my alley.

Congratulations Boyo Jim ! I know how good it feels to finally have a direction. I recently made a decision to pursue a different line of work and it felt like my life just crystallized in front of me. It’s great. The only drawback for me is that it requires 4 more years of school and I can’t start until 2006. So I’ve got a while, but I think it’s worth the wait.

Good luck and I’ll keep my fingers crossed for your job! :smiley: