I've never tweeted

I don’t tweet anything in the traditional sense. I never just show up on Twitter and say something. But it is a great way to contact the various content producers online. You can participate in viewer questions, take part in a survey, submit things you want them to talk about, or even offer a critique of their work. The Internet is far more conversational than traditional media.

They’re not my friends, so they’re not going to give me their number for texting. Email is an option, but it’s become less of a place for quick comments. Facebook requires letting them know my real name and giving other people who know me a chance to find it.

Plus, it’s a great place to get information from them about stuff, so you’re already there. You want to know when they will release a video? Check their Twitter. You want to know about convention appearances? Check their twitter. And Twitter has a convinent reply system set up, so it just makes sense to reply to them there.

I may never post about what I had for dinner, or try to make some funny quip, but I find myself making quite a few tweets.

There would certainly be someone following. Who knows why. Like when somebody driving a car you don’t recognize follows you home from work. And just as creepy.

I don’t have a Twitter account. I do have a facebo account, which I’ve had for several years, and I’ve never posted there.

I’ve never tweeted. I’ve never texted. I’ve never wanted or needed to do either one. I’m a Luddite.

Twitter was never adopted in my circle of friends and we are strongly discouraged from using social media professionally, so I do not tweet.

I do, however, follow several accounts, including the CIA and NSA. I find the tweets are repetitive, as each agency retweets the others’ tweets. I find email alerts more useful.

Twitter has evolved into social marketing, for individuals and organizations, in my experience.

I’ve tried Twitter several times, but I just can’t get the hang of it. It feels like it moves too fast, and there’s far too much stuff going on. Even if there wasn’t, when big conversations break out it becomes almost impossible to follow.

They’ve alleviated this a bit recently with the ability to click on posts and sort of see the “history”, but with the non-linear nature of Twitter’s conversations, it doesn’t work very well. I think this UI flaw is attested to by the mere existence of tools like twitlonger.

I’ll check it once every few months. And if someone has their twitter embedded in a webpage I’ll read the previous few posts to see if they said anything interesting. Every once in a while I’ll explicitly navigate to someone’s page to see if they posted an update on a project they’re working on. I like it in principle, and it seems like something I should be fine with using like Facebook, but I just can’t follow it.

The main reason I use Twitter, which I check maybe once a day, is to follow actors from my favorite TV shows and movies. They typically tweet stuff I’m interested in seeing and that I can’t really get anywhere else; it’s mindless amusement targeted directly at their fans.

The other reason I use Twitter is to get the news stories from the BBC and NPR that I’d otherwise miss. There’s lots more detail there (mainly links to the news stories hosted on their own websites) but I find following the tweets to be a good way to pick and choose what I want to read.

I neither Twitter or Tweet; I am a Mammal, not an Avian.

OTOH, I have gotten on Facebook in the last 6 months and seem to be adjusting to it, so it is not impossible that someday I will quack up (or down) and join Twitter.

But don’t hold your breath.

I almost feel like I should do some sort of Twitter for Newbies thing when these topics come up here. I am a regular, everyday person and I use twitter. I somehow amassed over 5000 followers, including a variety of celebrities and the number of misconceptions about it professed on this board is astonishing, but I suppose not so much when you consider how social media averse y’all seem to be.

Anyway, I find it incredible to keep me on top of breaking news, developing stories in real time, meeting people, and being introduced to new experiences. Anonymity is the key for twitter and I share as much or as little as I like. That 5000 follower account? That’s my public one. I also have a locked one for people I’ve grown close to where I share more personal details and that one has 30 followers.

Maybe an Ask the Twitter “expert” might help?

Nope, never tweeted, never read a tweet (other than ones that get automatically copied to FB). Never had any interest to.

Joined FB because a music group I play with uses it as the means for disseminating info and coordinating. I think I have 1 friend who is not a close relative. Useful to get an idea what the farflung nieces and nephews (and my own kids!) are up to.

Started texting and got my smart phone when the kids went off to college. In many situations, simply the best way to convey information.

Twitter is used as a business tool for me. I follow a number of people and agencies who release factual information that is useful to me on a daily basis. Mostly these are headlines with links to more information. For this purpose it is useful.

Similarly I only (occasionally) tweet out factual information my very few followers may be interested in. Usually it’s something I hear on a scanner

I do have a Twitter account, but I don’t follow anyone or have any followers. I use it for one specific purpose: to send a direct message to the author of something I’ve read in an online publication, or less often, someone I saw on tv. Much better than email. Usually I get a reply.

For example, I like to watch America’s Test Kitchen. One time they showed a product on the show-- it was a butter dish. I couldn’t find it online, so I tweeted Chris Kimball and asked for a link. He promptly sent it. (Or someone did.)

I occasionally tweet grammar corrections if they’re truly bad and often get a thank-you in reply. I also tweet compliments and questions to columnists and reporters. It’s a very efficient way of communicating directly with someone.

(I’m not on Facebook and don’t plan to be.)

I’ve never tweeted. Have an account to follow Alex Jacobs (Jeopardy! ToC winner) but never look at it. I have no idea how to send a tweet.

I use Twitter some. It’s good for following breaking news. It’s good for following politics and comedians. I retweet and/or favorite things I find interesting. If I reply to a tweet it’s usually to add a little snark. It’s kind of like an interactive newspaper or like, you know, a message board.

I don’t have much interest in the tweeting myself, but one of my favorite segments on Jimmy Fallon’s show is Hashtags. I can’t tell if people are really that funny or if it’s Jimmy’s delivery or a combo of both, but damn does it make me laugh. Also, what the hell does the hashtag signify? Is that part of the address, or serve as what you’d put in the subject line of an email?

Twitter is the opiate of the masses.

It can be. Doesn’t have to be.

I set up a twitter account maybe two years ago, it’s my IRL name. Other than basic setup (NO photo added, no location or other personal info added), I’ve yet to use it. Haven’t sent tweet #1 yet, never added a picture so you know it’s me vs someone else with the same name, etc. yet I have two followers!!! One is a guy I used to work with, wasn’t particularly friendly with him either, just a co-worker & the other is a neighbor.

WTF? How did they find me & why would they follow me w/o knowing that it’s me (vs someone with the same name - I’m not a Smith or Jones, but I’m not uniquely named either)?

can I drop them w/o their knowing?

It’s just a keyword that can be used for searching or notification. Many are one offs and therefore are totally useless for their intended purpose. But others (#Superbowl50, #NHPrimary) are used by lots of folks and so a reader can see what lots of people think about a specific subject.

Indeed. I’ll add, if one is into sports, it’s also great for following news relating to that (far better than firing up the ESPN app to look at sports news). Whenever there is some breaking news going on (or a game I can’t watch), Twitter is fantastic.

I never have either. Signed up and the account was hacked in less than a week so I got rid of it.