I've never tweeted

I don’t use Twitter regularly but during baseball season, I fire it up every night before the game starts and listen to the game while I watch a rolling commentary of the game by other fans of my team and a couple journalists. Then after the game there will be some tweets by the players. I tweet to my handful of followers during the games, and sometimes say something that others like and/or like enough to re-tweet.

It’s fantastic and fun!

You don’t have to tweet at all to be a Twitter user. You can just use it as an information gathering point.

I know, the sheer volume of misconceptions about texting/social media/smartphones here is both frustrating and hilarious.

Ask the Twitter expert might be interesting, but judging by the number of posters in every “why do people text???” thread who seem to willfully ignore the responses that explain there are many things people could be doing on their phones besides texting, I’m not sure it would help much.

There’s no need to “drop” them if you’re not tweeting anything. If you do decide to tweet and you don’t want them to see it (although, there’s no purpose to tweeting if no one sees it) you can make your account private.

I thought that was religion.

I have a twitter account. I rarely tweet, but I follow many of the cast of ST:TNG, a few software platforms I’m interested in, and some joke accounts (e.g. @AmericanAirlanes @KimKierkegaard ). If something really tickles my fancy, I retweet it to my 5 followers, mostly just to keep a link for myself.

You choose your level of participation.

Couple of friends of mine are old blind guys (guys who are blind, not retired window treatment salesmen). Every week they collaborate on an internet radio jazz show, which they save to an FTP folder on a podcast service provider. And once a month, the one in Missouri sends me an email with the descriptions of the shows.

My job is to upload the files to publish them, along with the description of the content. The publishing process puts out links to people who follow them on the podcast service, as well as on Facebo[ok] and Twitter.

So I guess I use Twitter, to the extent that I sometimes have to edit the description of the show, so that it fits the 116-characters-or-fewer format.

I still wouldn’t be able to access a show that way, though.

Twitter is the religion of the masses?

Sounds about right.

Twitter is the religion of the masses? Interesting concept…
I Tweet, Facebook, Instagram, ect… Started out solely for business marketing purposes, now I use the socialverse for personal things, too. It’s fun.
Oh wait! What I meant to say was:

I don’t even have a comp-perter and don’t now want to know what this here intrawebs thingamabob is anyhow, tarnation :mad:

Religion is the opiate of the masses. At least according to Matthew Perry’s character in the movie Fools Rush In.

:slight_smile:

So how does one send a Tweet? Does it start with @, like @peedin?

Mentions of an account name start with “@”. So if someone wants to mention you in a tweet, they would write “@peedin”. If peeing in things became a topic and the tweeter wanted to connect with other people who were peeing in things, he’d type “#peedin”.

My gf is in advertising. While most of America was watching the stuporbowl, she was at work tweeting. One of the accounts she handles needed creative tweets to help something do something.

Heh. When she asks someone what kind of ad campaign they wanna do, the current reply is viral. Everyone wants something viral.

Never tweeted, chirped, honked or crowed, and don’t have an account. I only have FB because my kids communicate through it, and post zero information in my profile.

Open the twitter app, type in your (140 character or less) message and hit the send button. Only people who follow you will see this message.

Do the same thing but include one or more mentions, the ‘@’ character followed immediately by another users account name, then those mentioned plus your followers will see it.

Do the same thing but include a hashtag, the ‘#’ character followed but some more characters like #Trumpisanidiot, then those who search twitter for #trumpisanidiot plus your followers will see it.

Reply to a tweet and the sender plus both his and your followers will see it.

I use it professionally. I’m in game development so I follow the Twitter feeds of major gaming sites, prominent indie developers, and game studies academics. It’s a great way to keep up to with the current buzz in the industry. I have about 700 followers. I tweet about cool stuff I stumble across, projects I’m working on, or chat about game design theory with other designers.

(I’m @bbupton, if anyone cares.)

I’ve never tweeted and texted only a couple times for my job, very short messages because I don’t like typing with my thumbs on a cellphone. I have no desire to carry on a texting conversation like others do, and I type fast on a standard qwerty keyboard.

That’s my favorite thing to do during Penguins games. It’s fun to check out the trash talk with opposing fans, and sometimes the local media guys will answer fans’ questions.

(And all hockey fans should check out Paul Bissonnette’s twitter page. You’re totally missing out if you don’t.)

Celeb twitter accounts are fun to read too.

When Twitter first started, I admit I was somewhat confused.

TWiT (This Week in Texas) was a weekly tabloid/magazine in the 80s and 90s with all sorts of news, events, and classifieds catering to the Gay scene in Texas. So, for a while at least, I thought Twitter was was the online evolution of this.

I’m old and don’t really understand snapchat, but I follow LACMA, because whoever they have running their account both appreciates art and has a sense of humor about it.

You probably signed up using an email address they have in their contacts, and when they signed up, they got a notification that “Spiderman is on twitter,” so they followed you.