Ivermectin Isn't Horse Medicine!

Well, yeah, I mean, it is used as a medication for horses. But in discussions on this board about its use for treating COVID - and let me be clear, I think that use is idiotic - quite a few posters have referred to it as horse medication, veterinary medication, or similar, and seemed to think it’s inappropriate to use in humans. Which is just factually false.

It was originally developed as a veterinary medication. But it’s been approved for use in humans since 1988. It’s an FDA-approved anti-parastic, and is on the WHO’s List of Essential Medications. In the U.S. alone there were over 100,000 prescriptions a year for it pre-COVID. It’s been used by hundreds of millions of human beings to treat parasitic infestations.

The issue with using it to treat COVID isn’t that it’s “horse medicine”. It’s that it’s an anti-parasitic, and COVID is of course a virus. It’s an inappropriate treatment for the SARS-COV-2 virus. But it’s a perfectly appropriate treatment for many parasitic infections in humans.

Can we please stop objecting to its use in humans and/or ridiculing people for taking “horse de-wormer”?

Isn’t part of the issue is that people aren’t getting prescriptions for it, but instead buying it from livestock stores? In which case, they are literally taking horse medicine.

There’s a current thread about someone who got a prescription for ivermectin where it’s being referred to this way.

If people are buying it from livestock stores and self-administering it, the issue isn’t that they are taking “horse medicine”, the issue is that they are self-medicating without a doctor’s supervision using inappropriate dosages of an inappropriate medication.

If I’ve got a spigot and hose I use to fill my horse trough with water, would you say that if I drink from the hose I’m drinking “horse water”?

I get the need to nitpick, but many of these people said they are anti-vax because it wasn’t FDA approved but turnaround and take ivermectin despite not being approved as a treatment for COVID.

Many (most?) people know there are human prescriptions for it, but it doesn’t really matter. People aren’t taking it because they (or their doctors) have properly studied it as a treatment but because they’ve willfully bought into misinformation while simultaneously rejecting known and effective treatments and prophylactic measures.

And compared to that, mocking them for taking horse de-wormer is rather mild.

Might as well nitpick that it’s also used for sheep, cows, and other livestock. “It isn’t horse medicine, it’s general livestock medicine!”

If people are taking any form of Ivermectin for Covid (as senior Republicans are advising them to do), they are indeed self-medicating without a doctor’s supervision using inappropriate dosages of an inappropriate medication :nauseated_face:

If horses are extinct and I drink from a horse trough, would you say I’m drinking “horse water”? :roll_eyes:

I…agree? That’s literally what I said?

I…what are you trying to disagree with me about? Why the eye-rolls?

On this board, posters have asserted that ivermectin is veterinary medicine and inappropriate for use in humans. I agree it’s idiotic to use it to treat COVID - I literally say that in the second sentence of my OP.

I also don’t think this is a mere nitpick. Ridiculing people for their scientific illiteracy in taking ivermectin to treat COVID by referring to it as “horse medicine” is beyond ironic. If you want to ridicule people for taking de-wormer to treat a virus, have at.

And, of course ridiculing the use of ivermectin for COVID by calling it “horse medicine” isn’t as bad as actually using ivermectin to treat COVID. I’m not saying the posters referring to ivermectin as “horse medicine” are idiots, or trying to cast aspersions on them.

I’m just saying, well, that ivermectin isn’t horse medicine.

At our barn? Yes. The barn water supply comes straight from the well bypassing the house, isn’t filtered, nor softened. It has a slight sulfur odor. You’d have to be hard up to drink the horse water.

Not as long as people are heading to the local “Farm & Feed” to pick it up. Nope can do.

I’ve prescribed ivermectin about half a dozen times in my career (approaching 40 years now) and it was always for particularly intractable cases of scabies. Last such Rx was less than a year ago. It worked well for that purpose. Patients tolerated the treatment well.

I do NOT prescribe it for covid.

That sounds like my tap water in my house (I’m on a well).

We just spent 10k on our water supply. Filtration, softening, light chlorination. Our well water was pristine and delicious before fracking started in the area. When we filed a claim against the frackers, their geologist examined the situation and in his opinion our water deterioration is coincidental to fracking. We looked into hiring our own geologist, but found out it was unlikely we would prevail.

Fuck Fracking

If you have a box of this on your kitchen counter, I’m going to ridicule you for taking “horse de-wormer.”

I agree with the OP. People promoting Ivermectin can properly be criticized, but don’t say somebody is taking horse medicine when they are taking human medicine (albeit foolishly).

The people who are actually taking horse medicine are free game on that front, however.

Boring! It’s more fun to call it horse medicine, and the fact that some people are taking actual horse medicine puts it squarely within the realm of fair embellishment and whimsy.

To be fair, it is also sheep wash.

Heh, we just bought two dozen boxes, different brand, from Tractor Supply. They currently are on tour kitchen island. Horse people are stocking up, fearing Trumpers will buy out what’s on the shelves.

Do you use a brush or just dip 'em?

That’s how shortages happen.

It is more of a “shower the sheep you love with ivermectin” thing. (Imagine James Taylor here.)

The FDA has received multiple reports of patients who have required medical support and been hospitalized after self-medicating with ivermectin intended for horses.

So, at least 2.

Come to think of it, there’s probably more horse people stocking up than people actually buying it to use on humans.