Some country folk friends from all around the Philippines insist it is dangerous, even deadly, to eat jackfruit and drink at the same time. I’ll take their word for it, and don’t feel like experimenting.
Jackfruit (aka langka) is kind of sticky, with an almost gum-latex consistency when ripe. They don’t seem to think of it as a toxicity issue; i.e. not an alkaloidal poison, but rather something to do with the rubbery latex.
Any thoughts ? Is it a consequence of the latex, or some other toxic reaction ? How would alcohol act on it to cause risk ?
Ua pisia i le tagaliu