Jan 6 Hearings Follow-Along & Commentary Thread (Starts Jun 9, 2022)

Adam Kinzinger pointed out early in today’s hearings his conviction that he could not send soldiers into harm’s way while simultaneously abrogating his oath and duties simply because he might lose his job.

I have no idea if that’s going to get through to 250 Republican congresscritters and untold numbers of other officeholders at the state and local levels, but it was an impressive display of shade and it’s a shame this will be his last term in Congress.

Interesting info about Holder and this surprise documentary:

Holder is interviewed on CBS News tonight where he makes the above claims. Says no one in the Trump family has seen a frame of the footage and he also talked to Trump, twice, after the Insurrection, saying Trump’s responses were ‘staggering’.

While we’re in recess, does it strike anyone as odd that the name cards say (for example) “Honorable Rosen”? Shouldn’t it be “Hon. Mr. Rosen”?

Ron Johnson: I’m on the phone here.
Reporter: Senator, that’s a calculator.

“Jeffrey Clark’s never been in front of a grand jury.” Well, that may be coming.

And did I just see Sean Penn sitting with the cops?

You did. He was engaged in an animated discussion with Michael Fanone before the hearings got underway. Some of the pool cameras seemed fixated on it.

On the lighter side, I see Fred Ward is among the witnesses.

Er, no. A general request to investigate alleged problems in the system would suggest a mindset of legitmate doubt about the accurate tallying of the vote. A request to come up with the specific number of votes required to win suggests a mindset of trying to game the system to get that result.
That’s the whole point of the committee playing the audio of Trump doing the latter.

I was watching the committee and then turned on the radio (PBS).Listening to it, there’s a delay between the television and radio-I wonder why?

Pardon beggers can’t be election choosers…

That happens all the time with TV/Radio. I put the Chicago Bears games on the TV, but the sound comes from the radio, and it never synchs up. Just chalk it up to a life lesson about what it means when a broadcaster tells you you’re getting something “Live”. It’s like, Live, but with a tolerance on the exact timing.

Recently-deceased actor Fred Ward?

I liked the part where Richard Donoghue related a conversation with Trump, where Trump said ‘People are saying I should get rid of you.’ It sounded like Donoghue basically told him, ‘Go ahead. The department isn’t going to change just because you get rid of me.’

Looked like him to me.

In that case, maybe he’s Remo Williams in real life too. (Fakes his death to become a super-powered secret agent.)

In case you missed it, here’s the list of GOPers who asked for a pre-emptive pardon: Mo Brooks, Matt Gaetz, Andy Biggs, Louis Gohmert, Marjorie Taylor Greene and Scott Perry.

Jim Jordan didn’t explicitly ask for a pardon, but did enquire as to whether pardons were being discussed.

I’m picturing that Dave Chappelle meme that the kids toss around - “Y’all got any of those… pardons… left?” {or something to that effect}

I don’t know what is wrong with my brain, but I every time I read that name I picture him as Mo Rocca. Then I feel bad, because it is such a tremendous disservice to Mr. Rocca.

Methinks his documentary will be well received. (The committee, of course, has the raw footage).

I read it as Mel Brooks. That’s even worse.

Who is that curly-haired guy sitting right behind Kinzinger? He’s been in that same seat for all the hearings. Who are all those people in the back row of seats up there?