Jan 6 Hearings Follow-Along & Commentary Thread (Starts Jun 9, 2022)

The live coverage is going to begin tonight on PBS (not sure if anywhere else).

Let’s do live watching and next-day analysis (Monday-morning-quarterbacking) here for as long as the hearings go on.

It’s 5:30 in South Texas. Show starts in 90 mins. Bring your own popcorn and booze.

The hearings will also air on ABC, CBS, NBC, and CNN.

It will be on CNN. I’m watching but when they said “primetime” I assumed they meant the major three would be carrying it. I’m disappointed that’s not the case.

ETA: Reads @Spoons post. oops never mind

There seems to be a significant omission here, but I’m having trouble putting my finger on it.

(snapping fingers…) Which… which…?

It eludes me.

A little furry animal…? Nah, that can’t be it

I’ll log my prediction now: despite some major revelations, it will be a complete dud. This will not be a game changer or some seminal moment we look back on like the Watergate hearings. It’s a blip in the news cycle and forgotten a week after the last hearing.

I certainly hope I’m wrong, but I’ve been burned too many times. The Mueller Report, two impeachment hearings - none of these things move the needle anymore.

Alright Democrats, if you wanted to know what Congressional Democrats have in store for Trump and his cultists, enjoy tonight. I hope they don’t fuck it up. But the answer is “Tonight”. That’s the case against Trump. Tomorrow, it’s over. Trump walks, small people get jailed.
(DOJ case against Trump? Wake me up then, will you?)

Well, Bill Barr called Trump’s effort ‘bullshit’. That’s good enough for me.

You’re going to take the word of that flaming hippie?

Well, they’ve certainly not shied away from naming who they consider to be ultimately responsible. I’m glad they’re not dancing around it.

Interesting that Chairman Thompson drew so many parallels to the Civil War. He’s not pussyfooting around.

So, Trump came right out and said that the people that wanted to hang Pence had the right idea and Pence deserved it? That’s a good one.

Liz Cheney has inherited her father’s methodical but devastating cadence.

Interesting follow-along on the NY Times website (not sure if it’s subscriber-only, since I am myself a NYT subscriber). Includes chime-ins from Maggie Haberman who I’ve always liked reading and listening to her stuff.

Jan. 6 Hearings: Watch Live Testimonies and Opening Statements - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

… subscribed

Here’s a gifted link, this should get you access even if you aren’t subscribed.

“There will come a day when Donald Trump is gone, but your dishonor will remain.”

Liz Cheney to her GOP colleagues.

Holy fuck. Holy fuck. Devastating.

That minute-by-minute sequence was fascinating. Some I had seen on the news before, and some was new (to me), but interesting to see all the events in order.