Jan 6 Hearings Follow-Along & Commentary Thread (Starts Jun 9, 2022)

And this, boys and girls, is why it’s really really important to make the antecedent of your pronouns clear.

I honestly didn’t think it was that obtuse. But point taken.

The three posts following yours all thought you meant Garland, as did I–and with that in mind your next post was so bizarre that I wondered if your account had been hacked.

Once I figured out who “his” was in that second paragraph, though, it all made much more sense!

No, you’re right. I should take a moment to re-read my posts for clarity before hitting ‘Reply’!!

I should have a glass of wine so I have a better excuse. :wink:

Well, I don’t know about y’all, but I’m betting Dotard announces tomorrow.

:wink:

Speak for yourself…
I didn’t but also thought that nailing down the ambiguity would add a certain degree of levity to the thread.

Look, if you’re not willing to support Merrick Garland as the Republican candidate just say so! :laughing:

Why should running immunize Cheetolini? If there is reasonable chance of conviction, indict the bastard.

With all the nonsense about Hutchinson’s testimony, it’s easy to forget there is a lot of testimony and video to come. I think what is to come is going to make last week’s hearing look like a dud. Explosive shit is going to come out and we’re not going to give two shits if there were two tiny hands trying to grab a steering wheel.

I do agree with all you’ve said. It won’t immunize Trump, nor should it, but it will make it more complicated for Garland. That’s all I meant.

By declaring his candidacy, I imagine Trump expects he will reassert his dominance on Twitter and other forums to retake control over the narrative as he did before, if he can.

The Committee has implied they have saved the best for last. I believe them, and I think you are correct that last week’s hearing will fade into insignificance in comparison to what’s coming.

But Garland’s task is very different, much more time consuming, and that’s what folks need to understand.

Fair, and my apologies for misunderstanding! Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

I think he also wants to declare sooner rather than later to force the Republicans’ hand WRT supporting him. IMHO some of them (possibly many) would like to dump him, but the burst of support from his deplorables when he declares will put them in a bind.

But oh, then the sweet, sweet money pipeline would have to be directed to campaign expenses and not solely into his pocket.

Oh, he’ll figure out some way to channel that money into his pocket. Otherwise, what’s the point?

ETA: This is probably going off-topic…

I think that’s what @Leaper was referring to.

I don’t really see it as off topic, because it’s one possible effect of the Committee’s hearings. If Trump does declare soon, then that discussion should go in a different thread.

And I don’t mind us wandering a bit in between hearings. However, the obsessive discussion about one small aspect of the last hearing (lunge 'n grab) became thoroughly distracting. That’s what I hope we can avoid.

It’d be nice to get all four of them with having to make deals to get the orange godfather. I think just flipping one of them should do, but I’m not sure which I’d want to be most lenient towards.

I thought it referred to Merrick Garland because he’s been a boon to Trump and the Republicans in his role of a useless attorney general.

In my bleary state, I saw ‘Eastman, Clark, and Meadows’, then saw ‘all four of them’. Even though there are only three of them without Trump, it reminded me of this song.

Haldeman, Ehrlichman, Mitchell and Dean

:notes: Yes, we’re Haldeman, Ehrlichman, Mitchell and Dean
We’re perfectly willing to spill every bean…

But so it won’t come as terrible blow
There’s one little thing that we think you should know
Whatever we say isn’t quite what we mean :notes:

There will be no shortage of (hopeful, nice, trusting) people who will claim that he is preparing an immaculate case in the best traditions of RICO.

I hate to break their bubble: There is plenty of stuff Trump (and his cronies) said on tape that completely clears the (low!) bar of probable cause.

There is no need to allow them more time to destroy evidence. If he hasn’t arrested Trump now he never will.

He is as useless as he appears.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/03/politics/liz-cheney-january-6-trump/index.html

More witnesses coming forward; possible criminal referrals from January 6th committee.

Time will tell, but from the glass-half-full side of things, it definitely appears that the J6 committee’s purpose is providing the political cover Garland needs to go after Donald Trump.

Bye-bye.

Hi, Jordan!

You may not know this, but we predicted the Insurrection just six days after the 2020 election!

I can definitely tell you, even for one who called the Insurrection, the J6 committee has brought a LOT out that we didn’t know here at the SDMB. And we monitored this thing as it developed for 2 months!

Now, go, browse the Boards, enjoy yourself, and we look forward to your reasoned views in the future. :slight_smile: