Jan 6 Hearings Follow-Along & Commentary Thread (Starts Jun 9, 2022)

Oddly enough, “Dubya” was how I read it in the first pass.

Thanks for the clarification. I was wondering about that.

Sorry, but I don’t think so. Bannon is no friend of the Committee, and I don’t think the Committee is even that interested in interviewing him anymore.

Bannon – I very recently learned (remembered) – received a last-minute pardon from Trump, so the Committee has no sway over him whatsoever. And a judge has already ruled that it’s too late for him to get out of his contempt of Congress charge. He is going to trial on that on Monday.

Ayers apologizes to USCP:

I’ve been following on CNN. Now that today’s hearing is over, Jake Tapper is hosting a panel to discuss what we heard today, if you’re interested.

Re: the clothing choices. It didn’t look so much like casual dressing to me as dressing like high school kids. Arrested development.

I saw a tweet from an hour ago that they played some of Ivanka’s testimony, and then video of her chief of staff contradicting it - what was that about (if anything)?

that was about ivanka going to the rally to keep her father calm and focused. ivanka disagreed, said she wasn’t there for that.

It reminds me of when I worked tech support for a software company. All customer interactions were over the phone or email. Many of my coworkers would dress in casual clothes; t-shirt, jeans, sweats. I wore business casual clothes (polo shirt, slacks) like I would at most any office job, because it made me feel more professional.

I wonder too if that has something to do with dressing that way. Wearing his normal clothes might have made him feel more comfortable. And based on what a lot of his testimony was, maybe it was intended to show some humility. Just speculating.

What was your impression of the last 2 guys’ testimony?
-I was an idiot, that I believed such nonsense.
-Anyone coulda believed it.
-I was manipulated by Trump/media/whomever.
-I had some personal anger/resentments, and this gave me an outlet.
-Something else?

I’m seriously trying to put a spin on it that isn’t pretty critical of them and their ilk.

Good point.

i’m betting he doesn’t have a suit. he is a behind the computer guy.

For myself, I can understand how easily a person of a certain mindset can get swept up into something bigger than themselves and not realize just how bad it is until you finally get the opportunity to take several steps back to see the big picture. Sartorial choices aside, I think these two men are sincere in their regret for having joined the group.

As you yourself pointed out, you only caught the testimony of these two fellows coming in the second half of the hearing.

The first half was devoted to showing the very intensive social media campaign that Trump directed from Twitter, starting with his “will be wild” tweet made on December 19, 2020, and then picked up by his acolytes in the RW blogosphere and other places such as Infowars, etc.

Ayre’s testimony served to show how easy it can be for someone who receives their “news” from only limited sources to be co-opted into beliefs espoused by focused propaganda. You may not be able to relate to that, and I can’t, either – but I can sure see the results of it in people I know and love.

Ayre’s testimony also graphically showed that he turned up on January 6th because Trump asked him to; he marched to the Capitol because Trump exhorted him to; and he left the Capitol because Trump said it was time to do that. Makes Trump’s role pretty clear, I think.

Van Tatenhove’s testimony was from the “inside” of the Oath Keepers and IMO was for the purpose of demonstrating how Stewart Rhodes was using his relationship with the Trump cabal for his own purposes as a means of expanding his world views into the mainstream. There was a mutually-advantageous relationship to be had, from his perspective. Also to show that the Oath Keepers are at their heart a violent white nationalist organization and people should not mistake it for anything else.

I missed which thing you are responding to. Who said that who should go before a firing squad?

Thanks. That makes sense. But what kinda troubles me - and I’m being serious here - is that isn’t a HUGE part of our country about politicians and companies persuading folk to act in ways that may not be in the individual’s best interest? Is there a line - it’s OK so long as you don’t exhort violent marches against Congress?

Believe me - I deplore Trump. But I also deplore about half of my fellow citizens who thought him just dandy - and whatever percentage still think so. Are these guys intended to whittle down the diehards?

It was an anonymous tweet in the run-up to January 6. Various Twitter users are mentioning that attendees should be armed, with one mentioning that (paraphrased) “We’ll need volunteers for the firing squad.”

I’m going to make a crazy guess and say it’s Hannity, mostly because I want it to be true for the sheer drama of it all. Trump would definitely call him personally, and although Hannity is a loon who has no interest in helping the Committee and isn’t in legal peril himself, he’s smart enough to understand the business peril for Fox if he takes Trump’s call. And the legal team at Fox wouldn’t mess around with it.

(I don’t really think it’s true, but hoo boy, would it be exciting if it was.)

ETA: this is probably better for the adjacent thread. @Aspenglow, feel free to move.

I think it’s still all about Trump, or at least Trump plus his direct enablers at the top. This is part (a small part, but still part) of demonstrating that Trump’s words and actions were intended to cause lawbreaking and violence, did cause lawbreaking and violence, and that he must have known this.

Sure, but Mr. Ayres is only one guy; and as we so often say here on the SDMB, an anecdote is not data.

Note that I do not doubt that Mr. Ayres is sincere. What I’m suggesting is that we will need a few more “Mr. Ayres” to state basically the same thing before there is enough evidence to draw that conclusion.

ETA: This may be better for the Adjacent thread too. Feel free to move as necessary.