January 6th Hearing-Adjacent Discussion Thread

The Jan 6 committee got the contents of Alex Jones’ phone pretty quickly. I imagine they’ll get any relevant information out of this raid promptly as well.

I wouldn’t assume that at all. The Jan 6 committee got Alex Jones phone text via the plaintiff’s cooperative lawyer who had inadvertently received them in discovery. DOJ can tell the Jan 6 committee to pound sand re the Mar-a-largo raid, which would start a long process of jousting for the information to whatever end. It wouldn’t be prompt.

That would seem to be ridiculously foolish. Garland said publicly that he needed Congress to turn over the results of their investigation. The last thing he should want to do is turn them into an adversary.

I could see delaying to remove anything that is classified and doesn’t have to do with their mission. And I guess I could see keeping something temporarily secret in order to compel witnesses. But doing anything that would hamper the congressional investigation would seem counterproductive at best, and destroy the whole thing at worst.

Hypothetically, they could be manufacturing and posturing at an adversarial relationship as a tactic for making the bad guys think they’re not as far along as they are, so the targets of the investigation are off-guard when things really start to happen. That’s more theatrical than I think Garland’s DOJ is likely to be, and they’ve got a very full plate so they don’t have extra time to waste enacting a charade for the media, but it is hypothetically possible.

DOJ needs to be very careful not to release anything that could end up getting evidence in a criminal trial thrown out. The J6 committee can move faster/looser because of that.

Pretty sure the J6 is going to do their thing, the DOJ is going to do their thing, and if interests align, then some things they may coordinate on, but I wouldn’t expect it. They are two different authorities operating under two dramatically different rules.

The direction of materials shared would be, imho, more J6 → DOJ and not the other way around.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the DOJ has already requested the documents but that they were asked to keep the matter private, whereas the J6 Committee told him to blare it loud and proud.

J6 update from Kyle Griffin, MSNBC:

Truly. J6 is saying, “Voters, look what they did.” The DOJ is saying, “Your Honor, look what they did.”

One of those pardon seekers got his cell phone seized by the FBI today:

I am sure that’s a coincidence. There’s nothing to worry about.

A short reminder that Jared testified he was too busy working on pardons to pay attention to J6.

Placing this here given the false electors scheme is part of the J6 investigation, WaPo just published the following (summary then paywalled article):

Every accusation is a confession for these criminals.

I’m not understanding how or why the “teams” were allowed to do this. Were they allowed to “investigate” however they saw fit as part of the campaign’s legal challenges to the vote count? Or did they manage to sneak in (or were allowed in by accomplices) to have their way with the voting machines?

I believe in all cases they were let in by local election officials, usually in violation of state law.

Basically, the people who were supposed to be securing the election process violated that trust and allowed criminal behavior to occur, becoming criminals themselves.

As was said in the article…

And now it’s being rationalized, institutionalized and legalized.

Prepare for minority rule by the American Taliban.

It’s very discouraging because it’s like a giant game of whack-a-mole. These untrustworthy election officials can be all over the country, doing their dirty deeds unnoticed and too many of them in too many locations to even do much about.

In theory, you just need one whistleblower to scuttle any criminal activity.

So here’s hoping that the Democrats push through some improved whistleblower protections before the election…