Japanese Curry Rice

I lived in Japan for a year, and one of my favorite things about Japan is Japanese Curry Rice. Is there anywhere in the States I can get this stuff? It’s goooood.

Of course, I figure I can look in an Asian food store, but what I really want is the kind of Curry Rice with what the Japanese call “Katsu” on it. Katsu is basically fried meat - like a Pork Filet with breading all over it and fried. I could get some shake-and-bake I guess, but it just wouldn’t be the same.

Is there like, a restaurant I haven’t heard of or anything that would serve this stuff? Does anyone even know what I’m talking about?

My wife and I speculate that it would be fun to start the first real Japanese restaurant in the US. None of this Hibachi falseness. Actual real live Japanese “Kohiihausu” food. Wonder if it would work…

-Kris “I’m going to start the first Coco Ichi Curry House Franchise in the US” Rhodes

I frequently see several types of Japanese curry (like those “vermont curry” bricks you break up and melt) at asian food stores. I’ve even seen them occasionally at my regular grocery store. But if you want those sealed pouches of boil-in-bag curries, you’ll definitely need to look at a asian food specialty store. I think you’d be better off making it yourself, the way you like it.
I never have been able to find proper katsu here in the US. Must be available somewhere, because I always order katsudon at my local sushi place and the katsu are the right type. Must be a wholesale product. My preferred US style substitute is Swanson’s precooked fat free breaded chicken patties (be sure to get the one that says “baked not fried” on the package). Sounds horrible, but it’s good, it makes a nice variant on tonkatsu. Just pop the patty in the microwave for 75sec, pop it in a toaster oven until it’s crispy, slice into strips and drop over a bowl of rice, add a splash of Bulldog sauce and a pinch of shouga… yum!

Los Angeles!

A quick google search found the following, which I’ve never used but certainly appear to carry that elusive Baahmahnto Hausu Karei flavor. One’s called Katagiri and is located in Manhattan. It seems to have a good reputation. A much larger site, Quickspice, carries a wide variety of other Asian foods as well. But the spiffiest is the Maruwa site (n.b. that with IE 5.0, it works best with the Japanese language plug-in). I haven’t used the website but I have shopped at the remarkably comprehensive bricks-and-mortar store, which is in San Francisco.

I’m lucky to live in NYC, where I can get my cravings taken care of more easily at the Sunrise Mart on Stuyvesant Street in the East Village. (It doesn’t look like they have a website :(.) I hope one of those sites works out for you!

where are you located?

I’m lucky i live in hawaii… we can get most of the popular asian foods w/o having to go to specialty restaurants and stores! yay!

We don’t have to go to specialty restaurants, but there’s just something spoogerific about CoCo Ichibanya’s katsu curry, don’t you think? :wink:

And, KC, it really depends where you live. What state are you in?

i live in hawaii too, we have the curry house here, yum yum. anyway if you want to do it yourself get some boneless pork chops, batter it up and deep fry it. thats how they cook it in all these local lunch houses. good luck.

You can buy Panko bread crumbs at an asian market to make katsu. Dip a pork cutlet in flour, egg, and then Panko. Let the cutlet sit for a few minutes on a cooling rack to get good adhesion and then fry in a half inch or so of oil. The Panko bread crumbs make a big difference. You can also get the sauce they serve with katsu-don. I have seen it called bulldog sauce.

Re: the OP subtopic of “real” Japanese restaurants…

There is a little place in Vancouver, BC called “Yoshoku-ya” (the first [o] is long), at the corner of Robson and Denman streets. It specializes in exactly the stuff that Mr. Rhodes is talking about.

“yoshoku” literally means “Western food”, and refers in this case to stuff that is (quite radically) adapted from stuff introduced to the Empire of Japan within the last, say, 150 years.

Kris Rhodes writes:

> My wife and I speculate that it would be fun to start the
> first real Japanese restaurant in the US. None of this
> Hibachi falseness. Actual real live Japanese “Kohiihausu”
> food. Wonder if it would work…

So move to another city. There are lots of authentic Japanese restaurants in the U.S. Wichita Falls, Texas just doesn’t happen to have one of them.

Don’t forget when you make curry rice/karei raisu to eat it with the pickled vegetables. Mmmmmmm!

Okay now I’m totally craving Coco Curry. drool Natto Curry.

You can also make katsu sauce with appropriate amounts of Worchestershire sauce and ketchup, if you can’t buy it.