Japanese "Hotels"?

Does Japan really have “hotels” (for lack of the proper term) built like shelving (with vertical ladders) divided into compartments with just enough space for human sleeping quarters? What’s the scoop? - Jinx

Oh yeah…and, how do you pay for these? Whom do you pay? Are they coin-operated? From a picture I saw, it looks more like public lockers fit for human habitation! - Jinx

I don’t know if they still have them, but I saw a news report on them on a major network many years ago. I don’t believe it was a put-on, but you never know.

I’ve seen these on TV, and it’s a very efficient idea. I don’t think too many americans would use them, however, except for drug use & other illicit purposes. It’s too bad, you could make money charging people $10 a night. The units have a/c, TV & the basic necessities, and it’s a great way to maximize space.

I’ve no idea how they’re paid for.

Not many Japanese use them either. I’ve never been in one. Anyway the term is “capsule hotel” - do a Google search and you should get plenty of info.

They’re called “capsule hotels” and apparently still exist. Several pages of listings for capsule hotels begin here at the Japan for Visitors site on about.com. Perhaps Dopers in Japan can supply more information.

I’ve used capsule hotels before. They’re very convenient and cost much less than the regular hotels. When you pay your bill (always in advance), you pay to a real live human being at the front desk.

It’s the love hotels where you don’t see the human clerk face-to-face.

Aren’t they typically near train stations, so if someone misses the last train home they can get a place to sleep.

Right next to the place or perhaps a block down the road is where I usually found them. If you can read Japanese, check out http://www.mapion.co.jp and check out the maps. I think some of them have the capsule hotels listed, but won’t swear to it.

As a disproportionately tall visitor to Japan (6’5"), I don’t think I could handle a capsule hotel.

But the Japanese-style rooms are great for tall guys. It’s a lot easier to stretch out on a futon on tatami rather than squeezing into a bed designed for someone much smaller.