Javier Bardem As Roland Deschain?

I can see it. He’s a good actor But not who I picture playing Roland. I’d like to see Viggo in the role. We’ll see. link

Bardem could be good, but he seems too bulky to be Roland. I always imagined Roland as muscular, but thin.

Viggo Mortensen is the fan favorite, I bet. I mean, he just seems like he’d do a better job.

No one ever likes my suggestion of Hugh Laurie. Seriously, he’d be perfect. No one sees it but me I guess.

Honestly Mortensen and Bardem are in the same league. I guess fans prefer a Northern European over a Latin looking guy.

I like it. It’s his eyes.

It’s permanently Clint Eastwood in my head, I’m afraid.

Kurt Russell would have been a good choice about 10 years ago. I’ll just be thankful if Shia LeBoeuf isn’t considered.

I can absolutely see it. Piercing eyes, craggy look to the face, slim but not emaciated build, sexy but not what you’d call handsome. Perfect (at least now that Clint is too old. . .)

Ron Howard’s directing? Easy.

Jim Carrey.

No, I totally see it. :smiley:

I think either Viggo or Javier would be great choices. But in reading the article, I was surprised to see John Hamm’s name. I love him to death and I think he’s hugely talented, but I can’t even begin to imagine him as Roland. But in my heart of hearts, I’ll always like Hugh Jackman the best.

I know. That’s totally how I see Hugh Laurie. I do think he could do it, but I always see him as Prince George whenever I see him.

I’ve never seen this “House” show he’s on. I guess he’s different on that one.

I don’t think there’s a chance of it, but I think Callum Keith Rennie would be an excellent choice; he’s got the right look and the acting chops. ETA: He’s also got that not-entirely-good thing going for him.

And Stephen Fry as Lord Melchett?

If history is any guide, the fans are probably out to lunch and the best choice is either an actor you’ve never heard of or one you’d never think of.

What fans suggested Viggo Mortensen as Aragorn?
What fans said Hugh Jackman would make a great Wolverine?
Who said “They’ve got to get Heath Ledger to play The Joker”?
Who thought of Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark before they saw the trailer?
And who’d ever heard of Christopher Reeve?

Hugh Laurie’s not a bad choice, actually (but it’ll probably never be him).

It’s too bad he’s too goofy, but it occurred to me that Craig Ferguson kind of has the right look. Maybe he’s too handsome.

Viggo would be a terrible choice. He carries too much of a “noble warrior” cache with him, that people wouldn’t be able to deal with Roland’s brutality. Bardem is a great choice, if he can lose some weight.

Hugh Laurie would be excellent. So would Christian Bale (more “The Machinist” than “Batman”). Willem DaFoe is too old. Denis Leary would be good if he could tone his frenergy down.

Heh - Willem DaFoe is who I always imagine as the walking dude. I wonder who they’re considering for Walter?

As an aside, I still think Jensen Ackles would make a terrific Eddie.