Jay Leno have a hardon or something....?

Conan wasn’t cancelled! Jay’s 10pm show tanked, and he wanted 11:30 back, and Conan was forced out.

Yup. In fact my link included an HTML anchor tag for that section.

It should be noted that Leno never wanted to leave 11:30 in the first place.

You’re welcome. I was hoping to kill two birds with one stone, the second avian being the conceit that entertainment opinions held by the elite translate into some kind of objectively unimpeachable license to trash entertainment opinions held by the unwashed.

Did I? Or do we still feel all preciously smug and superior?

The whole point of having opinions about entertainment is to be able to trash the opinions of others.

That’s not it. Private (Catholic) schools pay their teachers less, and get better results.

Really?

I did not get that memo.

Must have been left off the distribution list. But now you know.

I would like to meet with the committee. I think we should revise this rule.

No, but last time the fleet was in town, I had a run-in with Boson Higgs.

Technically “The Tonight Show with Conan O’Brien” probably was canceled in favor of the same with Jay Leno, and even if it wasn’t, functionally it was the same thing. NBC decided they wanted Leno back at 11:30 and they were willing to part with Conan to make it happen.

Yeah. I don’t like Leno and I’ve never watched the show, and I do like Conan himself (and I don’t watch his show that much), but Bricker’s point was not hard to see: demographically this board skews much more to Conan, and somehow that leads people to conclude that nobody watches Leno even though he has more viewers. I assume that’s mostly because of the network/cable thing and I don’t know if things like online viewership are included in the ratings, but I don’t care that much in the first place.

Well, it didn’t take me there; it took me to the very bottom of that Wiki page. Whatever.

Only a member of the committee may request a special meeting as a formal agenda item at a special meeting of the committee. Contact the secretary for details. But the secretary will not confer without an appointment, which can only be sought from the secretary.

Could everyone please back off the snark and personal remarks directed at specific fellow posters? And maybe make an effort to stay on topic, which is whether or not Leno has a political bias?

Thanks,

twickster, Cafe Society moderator

Do you like the Tonight Show with Jay Leno?

I’m not sure that Nielsen survey is as good news as you think it is. Going back a bit further tothis articlefrom the NYT from 2010,

So…in 2010, Leno’s performance was considered somewhat disappointing in that he was down to 4.4 million viewers and a 1.15 share in the 18-49 market. In your cite, Leno is at about 3.5 million viewers with a .7 rating in the 18-49 market. So it looks like his viewership among the “younger” crowd has plummeted since 2010 when it was noted thatLeno viewers were the oldest in late night.

Leno may be beating Letterman in 18-49, but it’s a rapidly shrinking viewership. So I think the point that Leno is not really attracting the younger crowd is valid.

I’m 40 years old and I like Leno. Yeah, his jokes are mainstream, but I find them funny. On the whole, his monologue is funnier than lame. Sure, there are lame jokes, but I don’t care for Letterman (even though my mom started watching him when Leno was booted from The Tonight Show, and hasn’t migrated back), and Conan is dumb and annoying.

Sure, Leno is probably the least confrontational host there is. He’ll eviscerate somebody up and down in his monologues, then that person will be a guest and he’ll totally give them the most polite and understanding interview. Because that’s his job. He’s there to make his guests look good, so that’s what he does.

And yes, there are writers that help, but Jay is an active part of the writing team, and he is a very hard-working comic. Not only does he do his nightly show, but regularly does stand up in clubs on Fridays and Saturdays.

:rolleyes: That’s preposterously stupid.

Regarding the OP, yes, Leno makes a lot of jokes about Obama. He also makes a lot of jokes about Republicans. He is pretty evenhanded. The president has always been a major target for The Tonight Show. Since we’re in a busy election year, all the Republican candidates have been targets as well.

I don’t sense Leno being racist. The “Dancing Itos” was never about them being Japanese, it was just a goofy stunt related to the OJ trial. He had a crew of folks in judge’s robes dance around. Since the judge in the trial was Judge Ito, a Japanese guy, he had Asians and called them “Dancing Itos”. He likely would have done the same bit if they were “Dancing Wilhelms”.

Pfffffffffffffft. If not for Johnny Carson’s chronic chain smoking habit, he might be alive today.

I’m just bored with him. Back when he was first on the air, I laughed at his stuff sometimes but in the past few years on the rare occasions I’ve tuned in to his show, I’ve barely managed a chuckle. And I don’t think he’s as good with the guests as Carson was (though, is anyone?) or as Craig Ferguson is now.

Hey, it was worth a shot. Worked for da big T.

Leno is an old school comic, like Bob Hope, when it comes to political humor. Keep it light and make fun of everybody. Presidents are fair game when it comes to comedy talk shows. I’ll admit Leno has a particularly bad habit- once he hits on a topic that gets laughs, he mines it for all it’s worth until it becomes a crutch. Examples would include continuing to make OJ jokes in 1997 or making Clinton jokes in 2003.