Jean Auel's new book?

No. She invented Al Gore…

What I find strangest is how hungry I get from reading these books. Hungry. Like I could chow down on a partially cooked mammoth right here in my home office.

Who am I kidding? Raw mammoth sounds tasty when Auel describes it. And that bird, the one with the feathered feet. You know the one.

Okay, am I alone in this? cringe

Sounds like there’ll be a recipie for “paella a Ayla”.

I’ve seen an advance copy of the new book. I have to tell you that I had a little trouble with my suspension of disbelief around Page 95, when Ayla win the all-around gymnastics gold at the Olympic Games.

How ridiculous! Gold medals in the Bronze Age!

Yep, that was TMH, all right. There was a similar scene in VotH, where Whinney is being bred. Not only was the mating described in the same florid, trashy-romance-novel language as the human sex scenes, it explicitly mentions Ayla watching them and getting wet.

Actually, I’m relatively certain that watching the mammoths mate (and Ayla and Jondalar’s subsquent “playing mammoth” activities) was in Plains of Passage.

I’m so embarrassed that I know this. :o

The thing that annoyed me about SoS was that after slogging through the other books I thought I was going to have some closure, that it was “the rest of the story”. But nooooooooo.

What I hated was being introduced to 70 million people, all of which had to hear "Ayla of the Mamutoi, daughter of the Mammoth Hearth, adopted to the Lion Camp…"ad nauseum. Then, after trying to keep track of all the names, you never hear from them again or they pop up 300 pages later, and you have to rack your brain going, “Who the fuck was that again?”

Too long, too boring. But, as Baker says, I need closure.

Ptarmigan. It’s good, if you like wild game birds.

That’s about how I read the books. The medicinal stuff I found really fascinating.