Jean Harlow and Lucille Ball

I don’t know if anyone watches old movies on TCM. They’re showing a screwball comedy from early 30’s starring Jean Harlow, and she has quite a loud irritating voice here in ‘Bombshell’. When she gets on a rant, doesn’t she sound almost exactly like Lucille Ball, when she gets on a tear?

Also, Jean Harlow somewhat resembles the early Lucille Ball in some publicity pictures.

I thought both actresses were quite wonderful. Dinner At Eight for Jean, and The Big Street for Lucy.

Harlow was definitely great in Dinner at Eight, but Marie Dressler topped her.

Lucille Ball could sound brassy when she wanted to, but even in her younger years her voice was pitched a good third lower than Harlow’s. Then later on she got that smoker’s or whiskey-drinker’s voice which dropped her from alto to baritone.

For Harlow movies, I also recommend Libeled Lady and Wife vs. Secretary, both also shown from time to time on TCM.

I once saw Lucille opposite Red Skelton in a comedy set at a resort. Her voice was positively mellifluous, and her legs were gorgeous! (She spent the whole movie in shorts.) She could easily have become a sex symbol herself

Marie Dressler was a treasure! :grinning:
the most popular actress of her time, I read.

Not arguing! She had every element to be a sex symbol, but like Bette Davis, she wanted to better herself, and she certainly rose above ‘sex symbol’.