Jesse Helms "Now, You Please be a Lady"

This is about the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women that Jesse Helms is so against, that he has refused to hold hearings on it. This caused a big brouhaha back on Wednesday (Oct 27).

The title seems innoculous enough, “Stop Discriminating against Women.” But I sure there are rational objections. Not from Helms, some countries had problems with it too (not the ones who treat women like fourth-class citizens, but places like England).

Am I missing something about this treaty?

DAMNDAMNDAMNDAMNDAMN!!!

I didn’t want that posted under C#3’s name.
It’s really, me, Ster!!

SterlingNorth NOT C#3

It is by the fortune of God that, in this country, we have three benefits: freedom of speech, freedom of thought, and the wisdom never to use either.
Mark Twain

I especially like the “You please be a lady” comments Helms made.

What he really meant was, “Be a lady and be barefoot and pregnant and get me a beer.”

God, I loathe that man…

I do not know the specifics behind the treaty, but if that group of people had tried for THREE MONTHS to set up a meeting with him, and they had to resort to what they did because of his ignoeing them, I can’t blame them for doing what they did, even if they were wrong.

Yer pal,
Satan

Sterling, How did you post that under C #3’s name?

Is there something we should know?

Jeffery

Actually, yes there is.

Listening to the “Every Sperm is Sacred” routine will drive a man quite insane.

As evidence. . .

SterlingNorth
“God shall strike them down for
each sperm that’s spilled in vain.”

I think Helms is Congress’ version of Jedi667 … he hates everyone who is not stuck with him in the 19th Century, so he is sure that he is doing right the more he makes people hate him. There was a kid in my elementary school that was the same way. His favorite thing to do was pretend he had something to whisper to you, and then scream in your ear. Everyone hated him, so he hated everyone, so he punished them by screaming at them, so everyone hated him. I don’t think he got elected to the U.S. Senate.

And no, not all North Carolinians are this way, just a voting majority.

Nothing I write about any person or group should be applied to a larger group.

• Boris Badenov

SterlingNorth:
I’m a Protestant! And I want a French Tickler!

Boris B:

IMHO, a kid like that today would have threatened a school shooting.

SterlingNorth: Why’d you register as C#3?

Because “Fantastic User” was taken?

Because I was expecting that it wouldn’t work. I was curious to see how the board would handle a new user choosing a “troubled” name. I was fully expecting seeing a message saying, “This username has been banned, try another.”
SterlingNorth
Not a good actor, but he’ll always try.

Just a small diversion:

Sterling, every time you post as C#3, I sit back and say WTF!
Then I burst out laughing. I can’t help it. It strikes me as very funny.

Sorry. Carry on.

This space for rent.

Does anyone else think that having the ability to post under another person’s user name is a very bad thing? I certainly would not want someone posting some of the things I’ve seen written on this board and signing my name to it.

Mike, he’s posting under someone else’s former user name.

I don’t know if the Board administrators should ban a name altogether, like the British Monarchy avoiding naming children John. If Sterling thinks he’s proving something by using “Contestant #3,” more power to him. I think it’s a bad idea, personally, but oh well.

Are we in Cuba yet? I’ll try to get us back on topic: Jesse is a big fat poopyhead.

-andros-

To get back to the original question:

Jesse Helm

Jesse Helms has used his influence as chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee to block many international treaties and conventions. I think his reasoning is “we don’t want the United Nations telling Amurrica what to do.”

CEDAW has been stuck waiting for Senate approval since 1980.

The USA has not ratified the Convention against Torture.

There are only two countries in the world that have not ratified the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child. You guessed it, the USA is one of them (the other is Somalia.)

J’ai assez vécu pour voir que différence engendre haine.
Stendhal

Arnold Winkelried wrote:

Well, of course not. You know that the U.N. is secretly controlled by the Bavarian Illuminati as part of their plan for the New World Order, right?

And let me say that, while I have not read the “Convention Against Torture”, the name sounds rather … well … loaded. As though anyone who votes against it is automatically condoning torture. For all I know, the Convention might be loaded with things that have nothing to do with torture, but by God you’d better not vote against it if you want to be put in the pro-torture camp along with Hitler and Stalin!

It may, in fact, be like drafting a subsidy for Wisconsin cheesemakers and naming it “The No Grinding Up Cute Little Live Puppies and Kittens For Sausage Act”. You’re voting against it? You cruel puppy-grinder!

Quick-N-Dirty Aviation: Trading altitude for airspeed since 1992.

It’s not loaded, it’s meant to be descriptive. I’ve read the convention and feel qualified to have an opinion on it. You can find the text of the Convention Against Torture here.

Sometimes a title describes the contents accurately.

If you want to read the text of CEDAW, you can find it at this link.

J’ai assez vécu pour voir que différence engendre haine.
Stendhal

Ths is probably the only thread that had to be hijacked to arrive at its intended destination. I don’t want to disappoint all those who think that C#3 thing above is some sort of protest move on my part, but alas. . .
'tis not true.

It was an “Idiot with Computer” moment. The thing I did was adjust the C#3 profile. Then I posted something else under my real screenname (an oxymoron?). So I assumed that all subsequent posts would be bannered SterlingNorth.

Wrong
I saw the confirmation, and proceeded to bang my head on the desk right hereI could see some hapless user who haven’t seen me messing around with the name in the “About this Message Board” page wondering “How did Connie get let back in?”. Well, I wiped the cookie, and posted fresh.

That second time was just to be stupid.

Don’t worry Mike, unless your very sloppy about posting on public workstations, or you decide to publish your password somewhere, I don’t think anyone can post under an active screenname (usless they go about cracking into the system.)
—We’ll be arriving in Havana shortly.—
tracer:

'Tis probably no more so than the names that are given to bills and amendments. Anyway, marketing is everything. (How can you be against “school choice”? You just wan’t to trap people in bad schools with no recourse. . .)

I while I posted that, Arnold snuck in with a shorter message to answer tracer. I’ll go now.

Personally, I have no use for Jesse Helms. He’s one of the few conservative Republicans in politics today who truly DESERVES the epithet “racist,” and I find him a major embarrassment to conservatives everywhere. And yet…

And yet, it’s ALMOST worthwhile to have him around, precisely BECAUSE he drives liberals so crazy. And the reason he drives them so crazy is that (drum roll), he’s one of the few Republicans who really couldn’t give a rat’s behind what the New York Times editorial page thinks of him!

MOST Republicans, even those who start out with right wing principles, are guys who WANT to be liked. And when the New York TImes editorial page says that “cutting taxes is irresponsible and will lead to children starving to death in the streets,” your average Republican is reduced to a quivering mass of jelly? “Who, me? Starving children? No, no, no! I LOVE children. Look, I’m dropping that silly tax cut stuff, and supporting the PResident’s budget.” And MOST Republicans are TERRIFIED of being called racists. So, when Jesse Jackson or Bill Clinton suggests that reducing welfare or abolishing affirmative action is tantamount to cross burning, MOST Republicans are quick to knuckle under, “Racist? Us? Oh no, we LOVE black people! Affirmative action is just SWELL!”

Jesse Helms is a true slimeball, but he’s been a SUCCESSFUL slimeball, far more often than not. He’s more interested in winning than he is in mollifying people who hate him and everything he stands for. Frankly, I wish the more responsible conservatives had a FRACTION of his cojones.