Jimmy Fallon's "Tonight Show"

In the middle of typing it all went away with a stupid “The connection was reset” message.:mad: Anyway…

Two months.

I liked what he did and hope he keeps his other bits like thank you notes and #Hashtags, although if he never does another head-swap it’ll be too soon.

My only minor complaint, and It probably couldn’t be helped, was the Roots doing more traditional late night talk show music. I loved their sound on Late Night. Why do late night talk shows have to have the same f***ing horn heavy music? Letterman, Leno and Conan. Ferguson doesn’t have a band of course, and I’ve never watched Kimmel.

Oh well, other than that I thought he was good, and unlike Leno, I’ll actually watch him.

From what I understand he was pretty sick last night, that might have contributed to a lack of energy (though I haven’t seen it yet).

The torch has passed to a younger generation. Letterman, once rejected by NBC because he was too young and hip, is now the elder statesman and the most conservative of the last night crowd.

I think there is now a big gap on the West Coast. Someone smart needs to fill this – it’s not like show biz doesn’t exist there.

I can see Steve Allen doing (or trying) hip hop if it existed in 1962!

The same Steve Allen who absolutely hated rock ‘n’ rock?

He only hated the lyrics. :slight_smile:

Papa Oo-maw, maw…

There seemed to be something odd going on, there. It was as if Higgins had been told just before the opening that his pay was going to be halved, or that he was going to have to use the men’s room as his dressing room, or something else upsetting.

But then again, someone in the thread mentioned that Fallon was ill. Maybe Higgins was, too.

I think its a big mistake moving the show to NY. Theres a very good reason why Carson moved the show to California in the early 70’s. Carson did the show in NY eight or nine years. Booking problems were always a PITA. All the movie stars are based in California. Asking them to fly to NY to sit on the couch 8 minutes doesn’t make sense.

I watched the show on NBC.com this morning, and when Jimmy introduced Higgins, it looked like he was saying something along the lines of “I’m so proud of you–” and then they did a quick cut to Jimmy, who looked weird and never went back to Steve to finish his thought. Anyone else see this? Did this happen on the show broadcast last night too or just on the web version?

I watched it as it was being broadcast for the first time (EST), and that’s the way I remember it, too.

I thought that was a bit.

What did Mike Tyson say to him?

As I remember it, NBC gave Conan a chance to make good (6 months?) but after Conan had lost almost half of the Tonight Shows audience, NBC wanted to bring Leno back (or at least not risk losing him and his high audience ratings to another network). They offered Leno an earlier time slot and shorter show time as a lead in to Conan. Conan would be bumped back an hour. That would probably have improved Conan’s ratings. Conan had a fit and refused to be bumped. Too bad for Conan. NBC replaced him.

Conan blames Leno but entertainers such as Leno, Letterman, Conan, Fallon, etc simply do not have the juice to order the big networks to give them a show.

The Tonight Show is Fallon’s to lose. If he maintains most of the audience share, and more importantly, the revenue stream, he could be looking at a 20 year run.

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall off stage to see how this bizarre mix of people interacted when they were waiting in the wings. Who talked to whom, who was standoffish, who was ignored, etc.

I wonder if I could have your ear for a moment.

My husband and I liked it. We actually laughed so much that the teenage boy stomped his way to the family room to tell us that if he heard one more outburst from us he was going to turn off the tv. aparently we were too loud and he couldn’t sleep.

Yes the evolution of dance has been done by others, but the “evolution of” is well known as Jimmy Fallon thing. It was nice to see him do it with Smith. Husband and I laughed the most at the Carlton. Nice nod to Fallon’s generation.

He seemed nervous, but excited. There’s an innocence to Jimmy that is so easy to connect with. He plays the everyman very well and I think that’s his appeal. We have lots of cynical, jaded funny guys. Jimmy is not the cynical, jaded funny guy; he is just excited to be there and having a good time. I think this is going to work well for him in the new time slot.

I’d wager fewer stars live in California in 2014 vs 1970. Plus, it’s not St. Louis; it’s New York. They’re not short on celebrity.

You know David Letterman is in New York, right? He manages to get movie stars. The other NY-based shows (Late Night with Conan/Fallon/etc.) also do fine, and so do the Daily Show and Colbert Report. Anyway there are plenty of actors living in New York, and when a movie comes out the stars have to travel around and do press junkets.

When Leno left the Tonight Show he was given a show at 10 p.m. This show was a ratings failure and that was a big part of the problems that followed.

I didn’t particularly like the new set. It was kind of drab. And having The Roots all on one level didn’t work for me, either. I really liked the two-level thing from the old set, with the keyboardists exiled to the upper part. But these are fairly minor details that I imagine I’ll get over fairly quickly.

What I don’t get was the lead up to the new set. They said they spent 5 crazillion dollars on it and it was personally licked by Miley Cyrus.

It looked ordinary.

I would disagree. How many TV shows are filmed in NYC vs LA?
How many films are shot in NYC vs LA?

I think it is safe to say far more TV and movie stars live in LA.

Granted, as mentioned, planes do fly to NYC and you usually don’t have to twist arms to get anyone to go to NYC (I lived there and loved it), but it still makes it less convenient to rely on some big name actor to have to fly across the country to be on the show.

Just simple things like bad weather could screw up the guest star list if flights are delayed or canceled.

And of course NYC has many celebrities, but I personally think LA would have ten times the number to choose from on any given night.