Job hunt: show up in person vs. blind mailing

I’m getting conflicting advice on this topic, so I thought I’d ask Dopers, since they would know better…right?

I’m job hunting and have replied to many ads. Now I wonder if I should expand the horizons a bit by sending a cover letter, resume, and list of references to potential employers as opposed to showing up in person to see if they could use another employee.

Someone on another board suggested the blind mailing technique I just mentioned. Another said showing up in person is rude and unprofessional. Then another said that the blind mailing is too impersonal and that showing up in person is better.

What do you think?

Since the OP is seeking advice, this is better suited to IMHO than GQ.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

What kind of job are you looking for? Retail stores seem to be set up for people to drop in I think our local Target has a little on-line application terminal. But showing up is not going to work for any better paying job. The person who might want to hire you might be out or busy.

Why not make a list of the places you would want to work and research them. Find someone who knows someone on the inside, ask who actually does the hiring and who makes the decisions, and target that person directly either by mail, e-mail, or phone, depending on the person. It won’t work for every person and every job, but you will be way ahead of the person sending blind mail.

[quote=“Voyager, post:3, topic:550458”]

What kind of job are you looking for? Retail stores seem to be set up for people to drop in I think our local Target has a little on-line application terminal. But showing up is not going to work for any better paying job. The person who might want to hire you might be out or busy.

[QUOTE]

I’m looking in the areas of medical data entry, coding, transcription; and/or editing and proofreading for documents, websites, etc. It’s specialized and definitely not retail.
I wouldn’t want to drive to every doctor’s office, hospital, clinic, and lab (there are hundreds of them) and show up in person for the very reasons you mentioned.

I would imagine in any professional environment, sending out cover letters and resumes would be better.

I work at a design-oriented place and we were looking for a new designer. We placed the ads in the appropriate places and received portfolios and resumes. We decided who we thought had potential and called them in for interviews. One day we had a guy come and visit us without an appointment unannounced. It was awkward. When we need to hire someone, chances are we’re pretty busy and we need to talk to people we are interested in on our schedule.

I agree, although I don’t think it would hurt to hand-deliver them. “I am very interested in any openings you might have for a <whatever> and just wanted to leave you my resume (with cover letter)”. Then leave, unless they invite you to stay. Of course, this relies on you making a good impression in your personal visit - don’t turn up fresh from changing the oil in your car.

I think that just dropping in would not be too bad, but, I don’t think it would help a lot. The con of it is that you will probably just talk to a clerk, or something like that. The real hiring person will not be impressed.
The pro of it is, that the hiring person may ask how you looked. If you have a real sharp look, the clerk can say ‘real sharp.’ When i was in the clerk/receptionist game, nobody ever asked me how the person looked who dropped the resume/app off, however. I think that in your field, just a mailing would cover everything that is needed.

Best wishes,
hh

Given how busy doctors and hospitals are, I wouldn’t want to show up and bug the staff when they barely have time to eat or visit the potty without someone demanding attention. That was my main concern.