Jock Death

This would be why they have Monday Night Concertos on major networks, right?

http://www.madpoet.com
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Man, I thought this was going to be about someone who died from jock asphyxiation. Now THAT would have been an interesting story!

Enright3

Omniscient:

Well…uhh…it was kind of sarcastic, I guess. But I can’t think of any exceptions. I wouldn’t mind being proved wrong. & I can’t deny a certain schadenfreude when I compare my current life with the lives of the girls who teased me in high school.

Stella
I’ll stand up and proudly say I was dang popular in high school and am doing really well now and I would consider myself an interesting person. And no, I took no offense to your post even though it does seem like a bit of a blanket statement.

But, I will say my popularity (along with many other’s in this world) was derived differently than the popularity most think of. Our school certainly had the people that were supposedly the coolest and the ones to be seen with, etc. Those people tend to flame out in real life because the things that are important for popularity and success in a high schooler’s mind do very little good afterwards.

I was popular because I was all-state in a sport, top of my class, friendly to pretty much everyone, and out-going. I didn’t stick with one clique and I didn’t buy into the notion that you were cool only if you hung out with certain types of people. I think a lot of that has served me well in the real world.

Well Stella, I could list virtually every politician, and while people may debate their worth, they certainly are interesting. For a sample. George Bush was all-state football, and college star football player. Bill Bradley was Mr. Basketball, and had a fairly successful career (NBA career including a championship). John McCain was a very popular student accoding to the most recent biography I watched on him. Ronald Reagan I assume was popular considering his good looks which led to acting.

I’d say its safe to assume that most of Hollywood was popular in high school. Interesting, but their inherent value can be debated.

Its obvious that there are many more examples. The comment has absolutely no basis, I take it as inflamitory and ignorant. I don’t see that kind of discrimination as being any different than racial, sexual or otherwise.

For the record, I was fairly popular, a very good athlete, and managed to overcome those shortcomings and earn a BS in Aeronautical Engineering. Being only 23 I can’t say I’ve lived a particularly interesting or productive life, but i like my chances.

I hope I’m not being too agressive, and reactive, but since this whole Columbine crap it seems that jocks, and popular kids are getting vilianized. People forget who did the shooting, and forget that being popular doesn’t make you a bully, or victimizer.

Not only do I not know the names of any of the above… I don’t even know what the “Spur Posse” is. Out of curiosity, which names should I have known? (Not saying your point is invalid, just that I am out of touch)

O p a l C a t
www.opalcat.com

Omniscient:

Actually, I’ll take that bet. I bet a surprising number of Hollywood stars were total outcasts in high school.

Opal, the Spur Posse were a bunch of aggro-jock macho men who made it their stated goal to lay as many women as possible, with a complicated scoring system they kept track of. X number of points for blow jobs, X for deflowering a virgin, X for anal sex. But they are nowhere near as notorious as Klebold and Harris. Neither are the baseball team members who gang-raped the retarded girl (a topic examined at excellent length and quite fairly in the book “Our Guys”).

Omniscient, you’re wrong about “most of Hollywood”. But if you’re including Holoywood actors & politicians as “interesting”, then I can see we’re working from different lexicons…

I’m sorry if you (or anyone else) was offended by my post, & I recognize that it was somewhat of an overstatement. But none of the interesting people I know now were popular, & none of the popular kids I knew then are interesting now. It’s kind of my pep talk that I give myself because, although I turned out to be fairly attractive & college was a BLAST, some part of me still considers myself as “the girl who no one would ask to the prom”.