Jogger Pushes Pedestrian into Bus Path. Whaaa?

True enough. You may have been saying that he pushed the woman deliberately, without intent of throwing her into traffic.

I think your scenario is the least likely explanation. I didn’t prejudge this, my first exposure to it was the video which shows exactly what happened. The most likely explanation is that he’s a prick who shoved this woman out of “his way”, and he’s lucky she didn’t get her skull crushed by a bus.

Aren’t we saying the same exact thing?

As was I, in both of my quotes that you cited. Relatively few posters in this thread have alleged that he intended to knock her into the road, only that he deliberately shoved her as a consequence of which she fell, partly into the road.

Well, you did say he purposefully altered his course to crash into her. In that we differ.

No.

A’ight.

I don’t think people are saying he meant to kill her. They’re saying that he’s lucky he didn’t kill her!

Listen, people are charged everyday for homicides that they didn’t MEAN to do. The classic case is a driver who speeds, loses control of his car, and kills someone. While he didn’t deliberately try to kill anyone, were it not for the driver’s reckless stupidity, that person would still be alive.

“Negligent homicide occurs when one person causes the death of another without malice, but with a high level of negligence that amounts to criminal negligence.”

Were the jogger on a remote country road, then attempted murder wouldn’t be a consideration. However, this clearly was a busy street, so it’s not unreasonable to argue that the jogger knew, or should have known, that his actions would endanger that lady’s LIFE. And so a charge of “attempted murder” might actually be in order.

Some do. Some in this thread claim he went after her deliberately. I’ve quoted examples.

Just watched the video. Depraved indifference for sure. I have no idea what he was thinking, but the behavior was so egregiously reckless it’s criminal.

Is there? Like maybe if he’d thought he’d pushed her in front of a car, it would be no big deal?

I don’t think that, legally, the make and model of the vehicles on the road make any difference to the charges that the guy deliberately pushed someone in front of the oncoming vehicles.

No, I’m calling for attempted manslaughter, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it turned out to be a murder attempt after all.

The man in the video deliberately shoved a woman into oncoming traffic. I agree that it may not have been his intention to murder her, but I won’t agree that he didn’t know there was traffic or that pushing a person into traffic might kill them.

And it’s, she.

Go_Arachnid_Laser is allowing for a possible other explanation for the jogger’s actions. I’ve tried to give him (jogger) the benefit of the doubt, to see if there are scenarios which could explain his actions.

It is possible, although not likely, that he is wearing earbuds while jogging and is having an intense conversation while jogging. Maybe it’s a business meeting or is otherwise distracted by the conversation. Maybe he’s been going through a terrible divorce and at that moment is having heated argument with his spouse. Maybe he’s so focused on the conversation. Possible, right?

His push may be a reaction to, at the very last moment, realizing that oh-my-God-there’s-someone-right-in-front-of-me!, and it’s a knee-jerk reaction to that last-second realization that he’ll collide with her. Up to that moment, his eyes are open, but he’s not really seeing what’s in front of him until it’s too late to avoid a collision.

Being distracted. It happens to the best of us, right?

If so, then why doesn’t he at least stop to see if she’s alright? Maybe, in the heat of the moment he is so preoccupied with that discussion, and maybe he doesn’t realize that she fell. Maybe he thinks he merely pushed her aside, and he assumed she is okay.

But then, what explains his steps just before the collision, the 2-3 steps he takes toward her, what’s the explanation for that? Could the alleged distraction also cause him to jog in her direction?

So yeah, he may have been distracted. It is possible, but it doesn’t seem probable.

Maybe the guy has a secret twin. I read a Koontz novel once where that was the twist.

Of course, if this guy’s really innocent, then the UK media certainly displayed callous disregard for smearing his name across the headlines for the past two days. :mad:

The search for a suspect continues.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/police-release-man-arrested-over-jogger-rage-assault-with-no-further-action-a3610251.html%3Famp

That part of the justice process really sucks.

“Going after her deliberately” is not the same as “deliberately intending to cause her death.” I am not clear why this distinction is so difficult. If I was unclear, let me repeat more clearly: I think his actions were deliberate, although they may have been spur of the moment; I don’t know if he intended to push her into the street but I am pretty sure that he intended to push her. Is that clear enough?

I have made every effort to be agnostic about his intent, beyond what is pretty clearly shown in the video, which is that he changed his direction and he shoved the woman. It is remotely possible that he was in some sort of psychological fugue state where he didn’t know what he was doing. It’s hard for me to imagine any other explanation, other than intent.

I’m starting to wonder if this isn’t some psychological experiment to demonstrate how eager people are to give a white man the benefit of the doubt, even though we just watched him literally shove a person in front of a bus.

You don’t know! He probably meant well!

That’s funny. (I mean, knowing that she didn’t actually get her head crushed!)

It must at least be in part because the behavior is so incomprehensible. He clearly shoves her on purpose, but then doesn’t even seem to notice the result. It’s beyond bizarre.

That’s the thing- as an adult I have never in my life shoved a person out of the way as I was going through my day. I’ve bumped into people and collided into them, but shoved them? Never.

This person’s behavior is so beyond the norm.