John Carter of Mars

No! Dejah herself has been hired as a consultant on this question, and she’s insisting on Ashley Judd, stained only slightly red with clay from *The Dead Sea Bottoms of the Dying Planet. *:wink:

yes, but everyone will be naked, right?
(how about i play John Carter, and John Carter of Mars play Tars Tarkas!!!)

Er, I hate to break it to you, but you’re the one with four arms, Dude.
:rolleyes:

:eek:

What?!

:smiley:

More info. Now!

Please?

Fenris

Think I can’t see through that ploy,Tars ? You can have Dejah when you pry my cold, dead fingers…

Dah!! Foiled again!!

Originall posted by Tars Tarkas “Dah!! Foiled again!!”

Cheer up, ol’ buddy! I’ll fix you up with my sister. In appearance and temperment, she is surprisingly similar to a female Thark.

See also alt.books.roger-zelazny

Cool Beans!! All the slaying of my enemies and drowning their children in rivers of their parents blood leads no time to meet hot green chicks!

If they screw this up, then every flaming geek boy in America needs to burn Hollywood down! I have sooooo wanted them to do a movie of these books. I hope to Goddess that whomever they get to do the art direction has as much talent as Whelan does and a healthy appreciation for Whelan’s art work. BTW, you can always tell a Whelan cover as he hides his initials somewhere in the art work.

See? If you had signed up on the Amber list or my message board when I told you to, you would have known about this already. :stuck_out_tongue:

Two things: I HOPE the Martain women are as scantily clad (as they were on the covers of the novels); and, I hope that we get to see those cool radium pistols fire!
By the way, E.R. Burroughs has been dead for about 50 years-who owns the rights to the books? Are they in the public domain by now? If so, why would Paramount have to pay for the movie rights?

Thanks, Tuckerfan, for the info on the initials. It’s kind of a calligraphic “M” in a circle. I could not find it on a few covers and suspect it is covered up by the barcode on the back.

It sounds like most of you have the same versions as I do. Does anyone else have the earlier Ballantine versions? My Chessmen of Mars was published in 1963 and has cover art by Bob Abbett. Not nearly as inspiring as the Whelan works. The Whelan covers directed my mind-pictures of the scenery and characters. I wonder how I would have envisioned them with no Whelan. Would John Carter, Deejah and Thuvia be as hot, and as impossible to duplicate by a Hollywood actor/actresses?

Ya know, even Tars Tarkas is kind of hot.

Quoth Kallessa:

So in other words, you want a manly, muscular geek? Lots of luck ;).

And I was sort of thinking of the Eloi chick from the recent The Time Machine as Deejah Thoris, but I’ll never complain about a scantily-clad Catherine Zeta-Jones, either.

Damn right I am— oh, you mean the REAL Tars Tarkas!

I would just like to invite everyone to check out Edwin Lester Arnold’s “Lt. Gulliver Jones,” written several years before the “Barsoom” series started.

Marvel, in the “Creatures on the Loose” series, did a version of this story about three decades ago, and included an “inside” acknowledgement to the person who had rediscovered this book which had disappeard from print for almost half a century.

But to say more would be spoiling. . . .

Here are some more rumors on JCoM:

Here are some more rumors on JCoM:

My Swords of Mars is the 1963 edition, with the Bob Abbett covers, as well as repeated assurances that this is the “Authorized Edition”. I kinda like the old covers. Oh, and welcome to the SDMB.

A Princess Of Mars, 8th printing 1978.
Cover by Gino D’Achille.
Tars, you are particularly ugly on this one.
John has his back turned and Dejah is, er, skinny.