John Deere Mower Won't Roll in Neutral

My John Deere Tractor (Riding Mower - Model L100) won’t roll freely in neutral. FYI: It is in very good condition although pushing 20 years old! (Nothing runs like a Deere!) Googling, I find it may be that the brake pads seized up or the drive belt is cracked. If the former were true, why then can I use the mower without any problem? I can’t imagine seized brakes being selective and knowing just when to release once the mower is placed in any other gear (with the engine running). And, if the latter, why would a cracked belt affect “freewheeling” in neutral with the engine off? And, why don’t I experience belt slippage or other signs of a worn belt?

Completely baffled by this behavior…
I thank you all in advance for your replies. (It’s a pain not having neutral!)

Might be something wrong with the linkage, and putting the lever in neutral puts the transmission into a gear, either fully or partially.

Jack up the back end, then put it in neutral. Do the rear wheels turn?

Is it a hydrostatic drive? Most of them won’t freewheel in neutral.

Hydrostatic drive models usually have a transmission release mechanism. Try searching “make, model number, transmission release”. Had a Cub Cadet like this.

Here, try this:

Thanks, all, I will have to come back and read replies. Presently, I have to shut down and close browsers. I hope I can log back into the SD without too much trouble.

:musical_note: John Deere mower will not roll in neutral gear,
John Deere mower will not roll in neutral gear,
John Deere mower will not roll in neutral gear,
If it’s got the hydrostatic driiiiiive!
:notes:

Sorry, I had to do it, on account of the “Punch, Brothers, Punch” syndrome.

Look under the seat for the release lever. The seat will be right over the transmission.

If one can’t locate the seat I’d think finding the transmission would be right out.

:wink:

If you look at the mower from the rear, you should see a bent silver rod. Pull that rod backwards, and it should roll. That will disconnect the transmission from the drive pulley.
https://techinfo-omview.apps-prod-vpn.us.e06.c01.johndeerecloud.com/legacy/cceomview/omgx21647_k3/Output/images/OMGX21647_K3126.jpg
Be sure to remember to push the rod back in once you have moved the mower to where you need to. Otherwise, you will get on it, start it up, and it won’t go.

If you’re lucky, when that happens, you’ll remember about the rod, push it back in, and be on your way.

If you’re unlucky, you’ll decide that the damn thing’s broken, again, and spend an ungodly amount of money to get someone else to push the rod back in.

Heh. Quite so. Didn’t notice how that would read.