John Glenn has died

Met Buzz… but not him. Damn.
RIP.

2016, you Miserable Bastard Year!

All Evil did well, while Good was Laid Waste.
For the sake of balance (and for the sake of Humanity) may 2017 swing just as far the Other way…

And a NASA center named after him. I got to meet him at the dedication ceremony.

Dennis

I don’t want to say anything bad about the man at a time like this. Especially a man who accomplished all the great things Glenn did.

But historical truth says we should remember the bad with the good. Glenn was one of the Keating Five.

With John Glenn dead and the last of the Mercury astronauts, there are now only 2 left from the initial Mercury/Vostok programs

Valery Bykovsky - Vostok 5
Valentina Tereshkova - Vostok 6

I have read Astronaut Glenn’s autobiography. He did his country, and himself, proud.

Rest in peace, Astronaut Glenn.

The Astronauts and space program were a big part of my early childhood. I remember in 6th grade that all the students left class and gathered in the school’s big meeting room to watch the moon landing live.

John Glenn was a WWII fighter pilot (59 combat missions), Korean war fighter pilot (63 missions) , astronaut, and a Senator. What a rich and fulfilling life he lead.

John Glenn had the right stuff.
R.I.P.

To be fair, if I were God I’d be scared to take Valentina Tereshkova too. The woman is hardcore.

You could have easily just stayed out of this thread.

Link.

Glenn was also the oldest of the Mercury 7. Probably all that clean living he notoriously indulged in.

He was also the only one older than Chuck Yeager, who is still with us.

Glenn was a part of my childhood. No matter at what age the good die, it’s always too young.

Godspeed.

Yes, I could have. But this is a memorial thread about the man’s life and what I mentioned was a part of his life. I greatly admire Glenn but I don’t believe we should whitewash a person’s life just because they’ve died.

You know, David Bowie ----John Glenn has a certain symmetry.

I had her on my Death Pool list a few years back. Those astronauts/cosmonauts were all tough. I didn’t get a point that year.

I just read this article on Annie Glenn, John’s wife. A truly remarkable woman in her own right, overcoming a speech disability at the age of 53.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/annie-glenn-‘when-i-called-john-he-cried-people-just-couldn’t-believe-that-i-could-really-talk’/ar-AAlkI2v

I read that yesterday and shared it with faculty colleague who teaches in speech language pathology. She met Annie at a conference once and said she’s a lovely person.