John Kerry's Pro-Terror Voting Record

scr4: Too lazy to look up the bill in question but without even bothering to look it up, I would note that if the Reps want to claim that voting for that cut in FBI funding (which passed) constituted being weak on terrorism, I think they might first want to root out those 9 Republicans from their own party who voted for it. Without their support, the Democrats wouldn’t have been able to pass it.

Yes, that’s why I asked if anyone here knew the specifics of this bill. I apologize if I was out of line in asking here rather than doing the research myself - but I’m not too experienced at finding an deciphering government records.

I didn’t mean to sound surly, but the assumptions in this thread, and the campaign sound bites on which it seems to be based are trivial crap and appear to be designed to capture the attention of those who don’t have time for politics.

A warm welcome for friend Token.

I note that in that vote, the R’s who supported included notable conservatives such as Nancy Kassebaum and Alan Simpson… who was at the time the Assistant Republican Leader.

Who knew that elements of the Republican leadership during the Clinton era were also so soft on terrorism?

Ah, well that’s at least a start. Take note TWG.

scr4 was able to provide a reference point for a Congressional vote- (H.R. 2076, CQ Vote #480: Adopted 49-41: R 9-40; D 40-1, 9/29/95, Kerry Voted Yea)

Here’s the loc (Library of Congress) link to the measure in question http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d104:HR02076:

Here’s some more details
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d104:HR02076:@@@L&summ2=m&#status

Very helpful for those who’d like to examine the source douments as thoroughly asTWG has. Or maybe TWG had someone he trusts examine these docs for him?

Here for example is an ammendment to this bill proposed by Kerry
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d104:SP02817:

S.AMDT.2817
Amends: H.R.2076
Sponsor: Sen Kerrey, J. Robert [NE] (submitted 9/28/1995) (proposed 9/28/1995)
AMENDMENT PURPOSE:
To decrease the amount of funding for Federal Bureau of Investigation construction and increase the amount of funding for the National Information Infrastructure.

TEXT OF AMENDMENT AS SUBMITTED: CR S14555

9/28/1995:
Proposed by Senator Kerrey.
9/29/1995:
Considered by Senate.
9/29/1995:
Motion to table SP 2817 rejected in Senate by Yea-Nay Vote. 33-64. Record Vote No: 477.
9/29/1995:
Amendment SP 2817 as modified agreed to in Senate by Voice Vote.
COSPONSORS(7):

Sen Snowe, Olympia J. [ME] - 9/28/1995
Sen Leahy, Patrick J. [VT] - 9/28/1995
Sen Lieberman, Joseph I. [CT] - 9/28/1995
Sen Bingaman, Jeff [NM] - 9/28/1995
Sen Daschle, Thomas A. [SD] - 9/29/1995
Sen Jeffords, James M. [VT] - 9/29/1995
Sen Robb, Charles S. [VA] - 9/29/1995

Here’s the text of the actual ammendmen itself:
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/C?r104:./temp/~r104Gb8y6i
KERREY (AND OTHERS) AMENDMENT NO. 2817 (Senate - September 28, 1995)

[Page: S14555]
Mr. KERREY (for himself, Mr. Leahy, Mr. Lieberman, and Mr. Bingaman) proposed an amendment to the bill H.R. 2076, supra; as follows:

At the appropriate place in the bill insert the following: `The amounts made available to the Department of Justice in Title I for administration and travel are reduced by $19,200,000.’
On page 73, between lines 4 and 5, insert the following:
INFORMATION INFRASTRUCTURE GRANTS

For grants authorized by section 392 of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended, $18,000,000, to remain available until expended as authorized by section 391 of the Act, as amended: Provided, That not to exceed $900,000 shall be available for program administration and other support activities as authorized by section 391 of the Act including support of the Advisory Council on National Information Infrastructure: Provided further, That of the funds appropriated herein, not to exceed 5 percent may be available for telecommunications research activities for projects related directly to the development of a national information infrastructure: Provided further, That notwithstanding the requirements of section 392(a) and 392(c) of the Act, these funds may be used for the planning and construction of telecommunications networks for the provision of educational, cultural, health care, public information, public safety, or other social services: Provided further, That in reviewing proposals for funding, the Telecommunications and Information and Infrastructure Assistance Program (also known as the National Information Infrastructure Program) shall add to the factors taken into consideration the following: (1) the extent to which the proposed project is consistent with State plans and priorities for the deployment of the telecommunications and information infrastructure and services; and (2) the extent to which the applicant has planned and coordinated the proposed project with other telecommunications and information entities in the State.

I won’t burden the hamsters with full text of the bil itself. Perhaps
See, now we can all examine the evidence of this particular item.

Now, Token if you’d be so kind as to provide citations for the rest of what you’re asserting, the rest of us can examine the documenst as thoroughly as you have.

Whenever you get ready, let 'er rip.

Good Luck

oh well

He’ll have to learn on his own time I guess.

Simon, looks like you’ve thumbed the wrong Kerry - the one mentioned in that bill is Robert Kerrey from Nebraska.

See, that’s why I needed Token’s experienced assisstance.

If you need his help, SimonX, you’re in deeper trouble than I thought.

That being the same Bob Kerrey from Nebraska who is a member of the 9/11 Commission.

I notice that that bill was co-sponsored by that well known bleeding heart, anti-military sap, Joe Lieberman… :smiley:

Curses! [loses bet with self]

Chit! And Radio Shack is having a sale on hamster-powered servers, too!