John Lennon's Death--Weird Stuff

Daydreaming in class today I started thinking about some of the rather strange circumstances surrounding Lennon’s history and his eventual murder. Consider–

-Howard Cosell had a cameo in Woody Allen’s “Bananas”
-Woody Allen would later be romantically involved with
Mia Farrow
-Mia Farrow’s sister is the subject of “Dear Prudence,” a
song from The Beatles’ “White Album”
-The “White Album” featured “Helter Skelter,” a song which
apparently inspired Charles Manson to have murdered
(among others) the wife of director Roman Polanski,
Sharon Tate
-Roman Polanski would direct Mia Farrow in “Rosemary’s Baby”
-“Rosemary’s Baby” was filmed in New York City’s famed
Dakota Building
-The Dakota would become home to John Lennon
-John Lennon is murdered outside the Dakota in 1980
-Lennon’s death is announced to the world during “Monday
Night Football” by…Howard Cosell

Weird? Or do I REALLY have too much time on my hands?

You have WAY too much time on your hands.

I keep thinking of what Judy Tenuta said: “If that guy had aimed two feet to the left, he’d be a hero!”

Howard Cosell also interviewed John Lennon on MNF in 1974 or so, during a New York Jets game. Ooooooooo.

Right now, in heaven, Howard Cosell is still explaining the rules of American football to John Lennon.

Come back soon, John, we need you down here…

Not to hijack this thread, but it’s about Lennon’s death and weird stuff, and I thought…

OK, I’m hijacking this thread.

I heard a guy on a call-in radio show the other day assert that Stephen King is actually John Lennon’s murderer. He was rambling on about how there was no actual trial for Mark Chapman and how King is the person who last got Lennon’s autograph.

The host of the show didn’t let the guy continue, and just hung up on him, but now my curiosity has been piqued. Is anyone on this board familiar with this particular conspiracy theory? I’m going to check Snopes now, but if anyone can reply on this thread and shed some more light on this weirdness, I’d really appreciate it.

If you type “stephen king killed john lennon” into google.com you turn up all kinds of interesting stuff, including this. Apparently there is a loony named Stephan Lightfoot out there who is convinced Stephen King killed John Lennon.

Here’s a picture of his van.

Cosell did NOT explain the rules of American football to Lennon. Ronald Reagan did. He was on that night’s game, too. He was shot the following year.

There was a great line on Michael Moore’s “The Awful Truth” last night. It was a bus tour that showed the side of New York not usually shown on bus tours. The tour guide mentions outside the Dakota that not only was it where Lennon was shot, but also the fact that some other famous people such as theater critic Rex Reed live there. Then she says something to the effect of…

“Why John Lennon? Why couldn’t it have been theater critic Rex Reed?”

In King’s book “Bare Bones” he tells the story of
a fan taking a Polaroid photo of him and then getting
him to autograph it “To Mark Chapman” from Stephen King.
He remembered the guy cause he seemed “very weird.”

That’s enough to get a looney going on a conspiracy theory.

I have a wierd one. My ex-roommate, a VERY smart girl, who was hired as a chip designer for IBM for 60K a year starting (in Vermont, where cost of living is REALLY low), once explained her “John knew he was going to die” theory. Apparently, she feels that the lyrics to “Jealous Guy” are evidence of his awareness of his impending death. She feels the song was written with Chapman in mind.

Not necessarily with Chapman in mind but perhaps the same general idea, with Chapman’s motivations, would still apply. Interesting theory to be sure. How would John have known?

I’ve never heard anything about this story. What night’s game?

Originally posted by SwimmingRiddles
I have a wierd one. My ex-roommate, a VERY smart girl… once explained her “John knew he was going to die” theory. Apparently, she feels that the lyrics to “Jealous Guy” are evidence of his awareness of his impending death. She feels the song was written with Chapman in mind

Weeelllllll, this doesn’t really hold much water, in my opinion. I mean, “Jealous Guy” was written around '71 or so, nine years before Lennon was murdered. Why stop at THAT song? Hell, he even wrote “I know what it’s like to be dead…” in the song “She Said, She Said” in 1966. Lennon was going to die eventually, wasn’t he? What if he died 30 years from now? Would “Jealous Guy” STILL seem eerily prophetic? I think not.

I think if Lennon KNEW he was going to die 1980 he’d have recorded a song called, “I Know I’m Going To Die In 1980.”

Okay, so Lennon and Cosell are sitting around, shooting the shit, waiting for Reagan to show up.

He’ll be there any day now, I hear, John, just be patient and write a few more "In My Life"s, will ya? Thanks, we miss you here.

How about “Life is what happens while you’re busy making other plans.” Beautiful Boy* from the album Double Fantasy released a few months before Lennon’s assassination.

*One of the best songs Lennon has ever written, IMHO.

Not to mention “Shoot Me” uttered several times in the background by Lennon in his ‘Come together’ (Abbey Road, 1969).

Quote________________________________________________
I heard a guy on a call-in radio other day assert that Stephen King is actually John Lennon’s murderer. He was rambling on about how there was no actual trial for Mark Chapman and how King is the person who last got Lennon’s autograph.

This is getting strange…
…I met Stephen King the other day in Harvard Square in Boston… and the 1st person I told of this encounter? The thread starter, Stephe96. Who, by the way, does have way too much time on his hands.