Jon Stewart - Return to the Daily Show - The Pit Edition

Splitting off from a Cafe Society thread.

Jon Stewart is back on the Daily Show – Monday nights.

His recent show took shots at both Biden and Trump – some would argue, in equal measure – for their cognitive status and abilities.

Opinions … vary about whether or not Stewart did the right thing.

Maybe this thread will ease the load on the other thread, and – more importantly – on our long-suffering moderators.

So … let’s hear it??

ETA: The YouTube Vid of the show can be viewed here (20min).

The election part starts at about 2m26s.

Exactly. Both guys are old! Bitch, only one has a political platform for this upcoming presidential election.

What is gross is Trump has nothing BUT name calling, he has no intelligence, he has no industry, he has no assets. So his nonsensical dither offers no political discourse of substance for the Talking Heads & Media Court Jesters to chew on, only childish name calling, which is Trump’s wheelhouse and makes them look equivalent. It’s lazy.

It’s also not funny and not worthy of being call Journalism, no matter how that term is applied now.

Sure. But these are unprecedented times, with extremely high stakes. JS has the possibility to have an impact on the results of the next election. If we end up with Trump, I hope he will look back fondly on having “commented on reality as he sees it.”

Moreover, 70s-80s is older than I desire my lawmakers. But despite his apparent gaffes (which are not new), it is hard to claim Biden has not surrounded himself with competent people and stewarded a positive agenda. Being glib on-the-spot may not be all that important WRT being a good president.

I shall try to tiptoe the line to keep this just about Jon Stewart. He is pointing out issues that are clear and apparent to everybody outside of the Dope. Not mentioning them does not make them go away. It is clear to me that there are things that are new and not due to his stuttering. It’s hard not to see after watching Biden my entire adult life. I don’t expect Stewart to close his eyes and stick his fingers in his ears. He’s going to comment on what is actually happening. It’s not all perfect on one side which is going to be a problem during the election. Pretending it isn’t will not make it go away.

Hide mine if you think it went over the line. It’s hard to keep politics out of a thread about political commentary.

Apologies. I find this entire thread problematic, so I’ll stay out rather than try to walk an unclear tightrope.

FYI: Your link jumps way in to the video (14 minutes). Dunno if that was intentional.

No, but I’m having trouble fixing it. Unsure why.

ETA: Better??

Yup! Works fine now. :+1:

Thanks!

You’re watching a football game. They refs called 7 penalties on each team. That’s some fair reffing, right? Calling out both sides the same amount.

What if one side actually committed 50 penalties, and the other side committed 2? Is calling 7 penalties on each team still “fair”?

The American media uses this model of “fairness”. They’re “unbiased” if they always criticize both sides equally, or give each side equal airtime, even if those sides are a pathologically lying criminal with a thousand gaffes worse than the worst gaffe of the other side. When you work in this framework, you are essentially working for the worst side by normalizing their behavior, downplaying their faults, and unfairly amplifying the faults of their opponents. It’s garbage. It’s not fair, it’s not balanced, it’s not ethical, it’s not intelligent, and it’s a significant part of why someone like Trump can operate and the media can pretend like this is somehow within the norms and enable him.

Conservatives have been “working the refs” for decades. If the media actually presents a fair, accurate report, they’ll scream “liberal media!” (Because you know, 96% of the US media owned by 6 giant corporations really loves liberalism). So the media will worry about appearing unbiased, and then stack their next story slight in favor of conservatives. The conservatives again scream “liberal media! biased! unfair!” and the media then responds by stacking the story even more in their favor to avoid the appearance of being biased.

And even though now the media is MASSIVELY stacked in favor of conservatives, they’re still screaming “liberal media! biased!” and the media is still catering to that even though they’ve learned the last 50 times that it doesn’t work.

It’s also the fault of enligthened centrist types who want to feel smart by being above partisanship. They’ll say things like “you think they’re destroying the country, they think you’re destroying the country. You’re both the same and I’m smart enough to realize that when you don’t!” But their view is dogmatic and never changes based on the reality of the situation. Everyone is always equally bad. Even if one side gets 100x worse, then obviously the other side must’ve somehow gotten 100x worse too, because they have to always be equally bad. This sort of person might say “you think flat earthers are idiots and blind to the truth. flat earthers think you’re idiots and blind to the truth! you’re both the same and you can’t see it!” because they have no regard for the reality of the situation, that flat earthers are actually fucking morons, and that republicans are objectively, undoubtedly significantly worse in every way than democrats.

John Stewart is very astute and knows in his heart what the real situation is, but he can be a victim of appearing to be “unbiased” in this way. He thinks it builds credibility among moderates, but it actually just normalizes the attitude I described above.

He said something that Biden’s team needs to hear. I don’t really want to vote for the man, in part because of his age, but I’m still more likely to still get out and vote as someone who hasn’t missed a federal election since I was first eligible to vote in 2000 than a new voter or inconsistent voter will be. The important part I thought was that Biden needs to actually get out and show he’s physically and mentally up to the task. Being told “I met with him in private and he’s totally fine” doesn’t really mean anything. It’s the same vein where I’ve been told that Hillary Clinton, for instance, is really warm and personable in private. Well, maybe she is, but it doesn’t come across on a large stage and basically all of America is only ever going to see a national politician on TV or maybe a large local rally. And if you’re going to a rally, you’re already a much more active participant.

Biden is making some moves that I think are mistakes. Not taking the chance of a Super Bowl interview. Not holding many press conferences. Reporting that he won’t take a cognitive test. I agree that Biden can’t campaign in 2024 like he did in 2020, with the excuse of covid being acceptable for not doing a lot of in-person campaigning. And that’s before anything about actual policy is discussed.

This thread is a good idea, but as the OP of the original one in Cafe Society, I’d encourage relevant commentary about Jon Stewart and the show itself to go there. In fact, wouldn’t it be a good idea to title this something like “the Pit Edition, now with Politics”? :grinning:

There was a good op-ed on the NYT on the both-sides-ism nature of Stewart’s comments. It’s fine to make jokes, IMO. It’s a comedy show, after all. But there is a clear difference between the two men in terms of mental ability. Trump puts zero thought into his comments and decisions. He reacts in a manner that only benefits himself. I’m sure Stewart will get to this at some point and not bend so far over backwards to slam Biden.

An interesting side note in the NYT piece was a reference to the time when Trump tried to call Stewart out on Twitter by baiting him about him not using his given name of Lieberman. It was clearly an attempt to point out that Stewart is Jewish, something he’s never hidden or denied. Stewart, finally having had enough, replied that Trump should also use his own birthname of “Fuckface von Clownstick”, which of course went viral.

JS has no qualms about speaking directly to the audience about serious matters, recommending various action, and attempting to achieve change. One issue that comes to mind is hs (IMO) over-the-top support for veterans. IMO, preventing Trump from another term is considerably more important than adding to the considerable benefits veterans enjoy.

I understand JS likely has limited influence beyond libs, but I’m really waiting for a multi-faceted approach of celebs, businesspersons, politicians, and commentators directly and repeatedly saying Trump is a menace and must be stopped.

I’m afraid that he can’t do those things. I desperately want Trump to lose. I hold my breath and look away every time Biden opens his mouth. It’s frustrating when people dismiss how he is now by saying he always made gaffes or he stutters. It’s not like we haven’t seen him for decades when he was much better.

Pointing out an obvious problem doesn’t make Jon Stewart a bad person. He’s doing his job. His job isn’t to prop up Biden. Biden has an entire party to do that. I guarantee Stewart will go after Trump much harder than Biden for the next few months.

Not his job. If he wanted that job he could have been hired by the party. If you want the party line don’t go to someone who’s job it is to tell things like he sees it. Stewart won’t hold back on Trump. That doesn’t mean Biden is perfect and pretending he is won’t change anything.

I find your attempted distinction silly. What issues do you believe it IS JS’s job to comment on, and which are not his job?

I second this. His job is to entertain and comment on things. If JS didn’t skewer obvious things on the left, he would be a partisan hack. He’s not saying Trump isn’t a threat, he’s saying that we put up a weak candidate to face off against such a threat.

You want him to shill for Biden. You don’t want him to say anything that might show Biden in a bad light. How is that his job? His job is to comment on the election. Biden is by my calculations a pretty important part of the election. He’s supposed to ignore the elephant in the room?

All issues, whether you like hearing about them or not.