Jonesy the cat in "Alien"

There had to be one character on that boat who we cared about living or dying!

Stolen from the internet:

Think in turn it was stolen from a sitcom. Big Bang Theory?

That was Brett. Unless I’m forgetting a scene with Ripley.

Saint Ripley and the Dragon:

For the last 20 minutes of the film, I was absolutely convinced that there was an alien egg in Jonesy that would come out once he (she?) was in the escape pod with Ripley.

So for me, Jonesy served as a very effective red herring.

Seriously, if I could get the ferals to stop killing every young snake on the property, I’d be a lot happier.

And yeah, Jonsey is certainly a ship’s cat. Plus, every orange tabby I’ve ever known is somewhere between 10-15 pounds of murder machine. I’m glad I didn’t have the idea that the cat had a face hugger visit, that would have been much more terrifying.

Me, too. It was the way the Alien spent time looking at Jonesy in the cat carrier.

Is Jonesy big enough to incubate an alien? The original chest-burster was at least small cat sized, I’d think it unlikely it could be developed enough to survive?

This has nothing to do with the cat, so I’m just asking y’all’s indulgence. Presumably the xenomorph was a massive thing when it was picking off the crew. Where did it pick up all that mass in such a short time?

There you guys go being all logical and stuff.

Clearly it got into the Quadrotriticale first before going on the killing spree.
See no Tribble at all.

Deleted scene that was mentioned in the novelization, it got into their food stores. Plus I think it was biomechanical enough that it probably ate a significant amount of metal and ceramics.

So wait, my joke was semi-accurate?

Surely the aliens have xenomorphic pets?

But the xenomorphs on the planet appear to be geared toward the larger than human humanoids of Prometheus, so just hosting in humans was probably a little tough. They didn’t have any cat-sized versions.

By Aliens, they may well have been ready, but Jonesy was safely back near or on Earth by then.

There’s a whole book about this.

From a storytelling perspective, it’s to make Ripley relatable.

But because the storytellers in this film were so bloody brilliant, they got a lot more mileage out of that cat than just making the heroine more sympathetic.

That is amazing.

The xenomorphs can reproduce using any size host. In the original movie, there were no human-sized xenomorphs, until the one popped out of Kane and then grew to human size. If the creature from the egg latched on to Jonesy, then the xenomorph would be cat-size.

Instead of a runner, you could have a scamperer.

I think a xenomorph popped out of a dog in Alien3