Just got an android phone - what apps?

All the experts agree they’re bad.

I don’t think it would be easy…my guess is that you’d have to root it, just for starters. If you don’t know what that is, it’s basically a process that enables you to access parts of your phone that the manufacturer/carrier disabled. And then beyond that, it’s still not an option that I’ve ever seen changeable in any software, so you’d probably have to get a file explorer for your phone that can browse and change core system files (the basic ones, like Astro, can’t do this, usually only the better, paid, apps can.) And then I’m guessing the sound isn’t currently an mp3, if you’re lucky it’s a wav, and therefore easy to convert from an mp3, but odds are it might not be labeled something simple like “battery charge complete.wav,” it could just be “soundXY2.wav.”

If you’re interested in weight loss, sparkpeople has a free Android or iPhone app. It’s really handy.

bouv: I fully intend on rooting my phone and that’s partially why I even asked my question in the first place. I knew it would likely taking rooting the phone to even begin to start changing the fully charged sound. I was just wondering if there was a well known application/rom/mod/hack that did it.

I <3 Tasker.
Tasker will allow you to do what you want…
http://tasker.wikidot.com/battfull
Let’s see what else I have…
-GotToDo
-Evernote
-Bubble Spirit Level
-Droid Light
-Weather Bug
-Smooth Calendar
Xtreme Alarm Clock

I understand there’s an app that lets you make telephone calls to just about any number on the planet. Not sure what it’s called.

I would echo what **bouv **is saying, and for the same reasons. You can end any processes in Windows a similar way (Ctrl+Alt+Delete), but that doesn’t mean you should.

Awesome! Is it a run-of-the-mill application or does it require superuser access or such tomfoolery?

Regular app. Requires some thinking and logic to set up some of the more complicated tasks, but I think you can handle it. It is like 6 or 7 bucks in the marketplace, but well worth the money in my opinion - especially for someone who wants to fool around and customize stuff.

Just as an example of something else it will do - I set up a task that checks if it is a weekday, AND it is between 7am and 7pm, AND I am within 300 meters of my workplace, it then mutes my ringer and turns on vibrate, but leaves my notification volume on but turned down very low so that it won’t disrupt those around me. When I leave work, it returns to normal.

Skype.
:wink:

That’s pretty bad ass Burrito. Now if only my work hours were that rigid. I guess I could reconfigure it weekly based on that week’s schedule and to just go to silent. Can get into big trouble if even vibrating is heard by the higher ups.

Thanks for the link. :slight_smile:

With Tasker you can set it so that the trigger is your location and not just the time.

With Timerrific, you can only do time-based adjustments.

Tasker is much more powerful, but Timerrific can be set up quickly with little technical knowledge.

Awesome! Should have been able to surmise that from Burrito’s post but it didn’t even click. I’ll have much to play around with once I get my hands on an actual Android phone. :stuck_out_tongue:

I would suggest replacing the stock browser with Dolphin Browser HD.

In a related tangent, I am shocked that Google hasn’t yet made a version of Chrome for the Android.

Google Sky Map is free and neat. As is Google Goggles

ETA: I have a Droid X for what that’s worth.

If you’re counting calories or carbs, the fatsecret app is great, and it syncs with their free website fairly well.

My “time killer” game for when i’m … um… stuck sitting in one place for an extended period of time is currently “NinJump”. It’s cute.

I will be upgrading (in a BIG way, from the my Eris) to a Thunderbolt once they are out, most likely. I’m looking forward to a phone that will actually run stuff. :slight_smile:

anyone with first hand knowledge of upgrading an XPERIA to 2.1 or 2.2? I just got mine today, and the update function (as well as SE tools) say its up to date, but its clearly still at 1.6.

I’ve done some research on it, theres a couple of flash tools, but the links have links to multiple versions, and I need a little more “dummies” approach this first time thru.

I am taking it to the AT&T store to see if they can do it - as that is what the person on the phone when I ordered it said to do, so this may be a moot point by the time i return.

Simster, I am interested in hearing whether you have any luck upgrading Experia.

Yup - I did - but no thanks at all to AT&T -

I went here - [25NOV][FLASHTOOL GUIDE] HOW TO for n00bies - G-FACE GUIDE | XDA Forums

and Followed the basic instructions - and it really was pretty simple to do.

basic steps -

Get Flashtool - its buried in the first post - be careful with thier download site, there’s lots of “click here” things on the page - one of them that I accidentally downloaded had a trojan in it. (hint - click the downoad file buttons, not the ones that just say download now).

Then get the right update - you want X10a _2_1_A_0_435 according to everyting I’ve read (its also what I went with). Link is in the second post (same warning about the download site).

Then, basically just follow the instructions - and be patient on the reboots of the phone.

I can now play Angry Birds! (and of course do all the productivity stuff I said I was getting the phone to do).

About to jump in and use your instructions when I paused at “now I can play angry birds…”. I’ve always been able to play that game so maybe I don’t have the android software I think I do?

About Phone says I have Firmware version 1.6, Baseband version 1.1.32, and kernel version 2.6.29. I always thought the android version I have is 1.6 but maybe not?

Nope - that is 1.6 - I don’t know if ‘angry birds’ requires 2.1 or not, I assumed it did, and I never tried on the 1.6 (literally only had it 1/2 day before I upgraded it).

After the upgrade you will see

Firmware version 2.1-update1
BaseBand Version 2.1.54
Build Number 2.1.A.0.435

assuming you use the same file I did - and you will (likely) like the interface and battery tweaks that come with it (I think the change to the interface is worth it even if there were no other improvements within).

I really like:
[ul]
[li] Skype[/li][li] Gmote (which comes bundled with something that lets you control your mouse from your phone; very useful if your TV is connected to your PC, but is in the other room so you can’t see it while at your keyboard)[/li][li] IP Cam Viewer Lite (I have a foscam clone and it works great for that, but you can also set it up to load your citycam for morning drive, or whatever)[/li][li] Google Shopper (I can scan the cover of a DVD or book and get instant reviews, or a barcode at the hardware store to figure out if something is really a good deal or not)[/li][li] TD (My bank has an app that’s basically a mobile version of their website. Much easier to use on a phone)[/li][li] Tricorder[/li][li] Xperia Flashlight (Turns the camera light on on the phone in a widget; very useful for leaving movie theatres, etc)[/li][li] BBC News (Can cache the news, so is very useful if you’re out of the country with no phone service, but occasional wifi)[/li][/ul]

As for the X10, I upgraded mine last year; I used the PC software combined with the power-on-with-button-held-down method. The only problems were:
[ol]
[li]I’d forgotten which apps I had, and couldn’t remember the names to re-install them[/li][li] I’d backed up my contacts, but my phone autoloaded the ones on my google email account, so when I restored them, I had 2 phone numbers for everyone.[/li][/ol]