Just got an android phone - what apps?

That’s odd, your apps are tied to your Market account, not the device.

Assuming you have 2.1 or higher, you are using more power with appkiller than without.

I am just about ready to try upgrading my x10 using the steps referred to above, but I would like one more bit of encouragement. I have read that it isn’t really possible to hard-brick an android and that I could always revert to the ‘as-delivered’ state if I wanted to. Can anyone confirm that? Perhaps point to an explanation of how to do it?

I know, color me cowardly…

I asked the same questions - I was the same coward - then I just did it - the reboot sequence will fill you with trepidation as it will appear that you’ve busted the phone - just be patient and all will be well.

If you read thru the forum I pointed you to, there are lots of re-assurances there that its impossible to brick the phone, and IIRC, a couple of threads on how to have multiple ROMS at the ready for just the occasion.

The process will work - just pull the trigger.

Yes it’s true. Read this thread.

Well, I did it and it worked fine, after a hiccup about missing drivers which I was able to figure out and resolve. But I don’t understand:

**7. When last message appear unplug/plug USB cable

1. Repeat steps 2 - 7 for MT**

the line #8. What does MT mean?

I have no idea - I stopped at step 7 since I only had the one bundle and everything seemed to go well.

Thanks for your help. On to Root next, I suppose.

I was told that Lookout is a nice free security app. So far, it hasn’t given me any problems.

Yeeeeaaaah, all the variations of my name I tried to use for @gmail.com were taken, so it’s registered against my work email. We use Google for our email hosting, but apparently this is only good enough to sync contact information; lots of the other features don’t work.

The most annoying thing about that was thinking it was more a move Apple would have made. :stuck_out_tongue:

Since you guys were able to help me with an earlier issue, how about this one?

I have a basic question, perhaps too dependent on which hardware one is using, but I’ll ask anyway. I have a Sony/Ericcson Experia10 that I’ve bumped up to 2.2 android. It works ok, but I really don’t do anything on it but play a game of solitare every couple days and make one phone call a week. But I thought I’d try putting pictures on contacts, so I put a picture into dropbox on my pc and happily noticed it appear in the dropbox app on my phone. So I opened dropbox and ‘downloaded’ the picture, which seemed to be the right thing. Then I went into contacts and edited a contact, clicked on the empty picture block and was offered the opportunity to add a picture. I think there were three options for source: Camera, camera roll, and pictures. The first is self-evident and not applicable here, the second contains the 3 or 4 practice snaps I’ve taken with the camera phone, and the third has the pictures in it that were shipped with the phone. Where would my downloaded dropbox picture be? I don’t see anything like a file and directory tree that I could rummage through. Any thoughts?

Not having anything close to your hardware, I’m going to take a WAG.
Use the Files app to move the picture from your on-phone Dropbox folder into the DCIM folder. See if that works.

Looked around and could not find any Files app on the phone so I went to Market and downloaded Astro. Cool. I used that to move the pic from dropbox to DCIM (?) and the pic now shows up under “Camera Roll” and I was able to put it with the contact.

Thanks!

Any ideas on how to increase the call volume (not the ringer) on my Motorola Droid?

While you’re on a call, the volume key adjusts call volume.

If you plug your phone in with a USB cable to the PC and “mount” it - you can access the microSD card on it just like any other drive -

In it there is a DCIM folder - and under it a 100Andro folder -

Files in the 100Andro folder are photos taken with the camera
I have found if I put an image in the DCIM folder, but not in the 100Andro folder (next to it) I can easily apply it to my contacts. (no other apps needed).

Also - there is an “AUDIO” folder -ringtones are stored in the AUDIO/ringtones folder, MP3 files are in the AUDIO/MUSIC folder.

One time I found a file explorer on the Android, but for the life of me I can’t find it now.

Good, thanks for all the tips.

Great set of articles in WSJ today about Android at the Barcelona event. Great things coming.

In addition to hitting volume up while in a call, you can download the app/widget called ‘Audio Manager.’ It lets you set all six vo,ue settings (alarm, media, ring, voice, system, and alerts) at any time, independantly of each other.

Okay so I just got my first smartphone, Motorola Atrix of course.

I need some assistance in regards to background task management. Using the default task manager I have plenty of applications set to end when the screen times out, but when I go a little further into application management, there’s still a lengthy list of things happening in the background. Most of them related to widgets/applications I have not even started/opened yet.

So my question is, in addition to the task manager, do I have to go through and “force stop” all these damn things? If so, how do I make sure they don’t just restart?

I’m new but I was reading and thought I would share some of my favorites. I only do free apps, because I am cheap lol

Cb radio chat. Its fun you get to know people from all around the world. Its like a family. Stay away from general chat it can get intense. Quick 9 is where you want.

The face book app … Of course

Foursquare

Live hold em poker , … Im addicted

Best alarm clock

Zedge, for ring tones

Car navigator - amazing gps!

Look up sex offender app… Its great. I was amazed in my small town how many sex offenders are near by. Shows their pictures. Their charges. Where they live. Also if you have a family member with a smarty phone with gps you can keep track of each other. Very nice. Very.