Just got an android phone - what apps?

Also, making my requisite first post directly from my phone. No Tapatalk though just straight from the Dolphin browser.

Thanks!
That is a great link - and I found a couple of interesting apps to get news and videos from Germany. Cool.

If you’re running at least Froyo (Android 2.2) then the current consensus is that you don’t really need to worry about them. I refer you to this article that explains it in more detail than you might like…but has a tl;dnr at the bottom for those who just need the salient points.

Yes I’m on Froyo, so thanks for the link. I suppose I should go back and read all those others that were linked to in regards to task killer applications.

New Question:

Without using Paypal or a credit card, how can I legitimately acquire Tasker For Android? My debit card apparently has an unremovable block for international purchases. My alternatives are Paypal or a true credit card. Neither of which I have any interest in. Are there any alternatives or should I just bite the bullet and sign up for Paypal?

Wordsmith Free- Basically Scrabble that you play over your phone with friends.

Glympse- Let’s others view you on GPS. Send to friends and family when your “on your way” and they can watch you drving down the road.

Oh, I recently picked up Stupid Zombies. It’s the new Angry Birds, you wait and see.

Just picked up my Droid X yesterday, and I’m making a list of apps from this thread. I’m not much of a game-player, but it sounds like Angry Birds is a requirement for owning an Android phone.

Can anyone give me specifics on what security app you’ve found? Lookout, McAfee WaveSecure and AVG are the ones I’ve looked at. I don’t mind paying for a full-featured app, I just don’t know which one to pick!

Also looking to bump this thread for more ideas :slight_smile:

Forgot to ask: do you have a favorite ringtones app? I’m looking for unobtrusive sounds, not jingles. Maybe bird sounds?

I use Lookout, it’s free and no problems.

What default task manager? If it’s an application, get rid of it. Task managers don’t help you on Android.

It’s called the Astro File Manager. The most recent build of Android has something like it built in, though.

Take a quick look at “Seek Droid” too. It’s 99 cents in the US market and has a smaller footprint than the ones that do any virus scanning–because it doesn’t do any virus scanning! Its list of features is quite comprehensive though and it offers a couple more features than some of those others.

Yes it’s an application and by “default task manager” I mean it came preloaded on my phone and it’s called “Task Manager” and I can’t uninstall it.

If it’s the task manager I got on my Droid 2 Global, running Android 2.2 (Froyo), that task manager is really pretty good (as we talked about in posts #63 and 64) and can be completely ignored while it does its stuff in the background. Because it’s in the ROM of the phone you’re right: you can’t uninstall it unless you root the phone.

I’m trying to find a folder organizer for my phone to group apps together and save on space. Any recommendations?

On my phone, I can press and hold on an empty space on one of the screens and I get a dialog box asking me what I want to do. I can select a “folder” to appear in that space. Open the folder by tapping on it.

Now open the app drawer and press and hold on an app. This moves (copies) it into the folder.

How’s that?

Oh, thanks! I didn’t use that because I couldn’t figure out how to rename the folder, but I just did.

Thanks for the responses on Lookout and SeekDroid. I will probably go with Lookout and see how things go.

I just tested finding my phone with Lookout. It worked.