Just when you think Republicans can't get any more fuckheaded

Hmm, just realized that was a lousy explanation.

De minimis non curat lex is a Latin expression that means, “The law does not concern itself with trivialities.” It’s a common legal expression; when I was in high school and one guy suckerpunched another guy and the second teen took the first teen to court, the case was thrown out with this given as the reason. (Which was a fucked-up decision, IMO, but that’s neither here nor there).

Lex Luthor, of course, also doesn’t concern himself with trivialities. The juxtaposition of the two ideas made me laugh until I cried.

Daniel

Thanks, LHoD. I remember that sig, and I always wondered what it meant.

Moore waas not urging the non-voters to vote for any candidate:

Bricker, does this seem like the kind of occasion for which the de minimis principle was designed?

Daniel

Anyone else entertained by the thought that for Republicans, more people voting is a bad thing?

I think they’re just upset at how Moore is jockeying for power.

Daniel

Moore is being threatened with serious legal action for a silly joke and HE should lighten the fuck up?

Oh right, it’s another Republican voter supression thing, so it doesn’t matter. I keep forgetting.

:eek:

He thinks ramen noodles are healthy?

No wonder he’s so obese.

Dag! Thanks for the heads up, Mr. Moto!

Not a legal professional, but I am pretty sure that you are correct. Since he didn’t offer his goods to vote for one or another of the candidates and is instead trying to cure a low voter turn-out problem, I’m pretty sure he’s clear on this charge. I’m sure he’s got a legal team for this kind of bullshit, too.

Sam

Trust me, Moore ***LOVES ***this kind of stuff. He’s a media hound, and anything that gets him press attention is good. He’s a “wanted man”… Ooooooooooh!

When will these morons learn not to offer free press?

Yep. He’s a satirical clown running a comedy show, and anyone who fights him automatically enters the comedy show. If you’re acting serious, you end up looking the fool

Daniel

He’s trying to build it up into a story of how the Pubbies have to resort to arresting him to stifle his free speech, and making himself out to be some desperado outlaw. I think he has a legitimate beef, but he’s way overdramatizing it.

I agree. The guys going after Moore are just playing into his had and looking ridiculous in the process.

Never, I hope. :slight_smile:

I hate to say it, but for once the Republicans have a case.

If a candidate or his representative gives you $10 in exchange for agreeing to vote in November, you are more likely to vote for the guy who gave you the ten bucks because he gave you ten bucks for doing next to nothing and the other candidates didn’t. That’s why the statute prohibits candidates et al offering recompense to someone in exchange for their voting for a candidate of their own choice, as opposed to in exchange for voting specifically for one candidate.

Moore’s not specifically rewarding people for voting Kerry, but by asking them to vote Kerry he’s made it clear that his encouraging them to vote is being done on Kerry’s behalf. This most definitely puts him in violation of the statute in question.

Groan. I wonder if there are any legal briefs that cover this.

Isn’t there another technicality in that he’s encouraging them to register, not to vote?

[hijack]
And I have always felt that in 2000, candidate Bush’s promise of a tax cut amounted to essentially the same thing. A vote buying scheme, “Vote for me and I will give you a tax cut (money).” :dubious:
[/hijack]